Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Jimi

8-10-06 fishing/diving

I met Ryan Block last winter when I helped him pull a nice yellow up from a lobster pot it was stuck on. I love telling that story, never quit. He told me some of my jigs were not swimming as well as ones in the past so this morning I took a few fresh ones out.
First cast: action did'nt look that great
Second cast: he might be right
Third cast: fish on 10lb yellowtail
I was laughing out loud for five minutes.
I think you just have to get the speed right, the better the jig the faster you can pull it otherwise you just have to slow it down a little.
Here is the real reason I wanted to post. A month ago I found some speedo goggles on the beach so I threw them in my kayak. I was throwing the jig an get hooked up again. Was sure it was a bonita untill it flashed and then went straight down. Started giggling again, it always happens when I hook yellows on my jig. KELPED. I tried everything and it would not come lose. I remebered a had goggles and thought about Ryan. I hopped off and went down. The first few attemps I never got close because I kept running out of air. Climbed back on kayak, wound as tight as I could and went for it again. Visibility in the first twenty feet was not great but as soon as the water got cold it was excellent. Made some big strokes to get there and grabbed the kelp above the fish and it broke. Made two more big strokes reached for the fish and grabbed the jig and one slight pull it came lose very easy. When I looked up I was at least sixty feet deep which felt like a hundred when I was coming up. Back on the kayak I reeled in the yellowtail. I am not a strong free diver and do not think I could ever have gone that deep with out that incentive. I wanted to thank the guy who left the goggles on the beach and Ryan for lesson on determination. I also found a pelican brand battery box in the surf, if it is yours let me know how to get it to you.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Somebody with the handle King Triton lost a Pelican battery box the other day.
http://sdkayakfishing.com/phpBB1/viewtopic.php?t=1131
Old 08-10-2006, 04:17 PM   #3
Ryan The Sealion

:lol: thanks jimi!! nice job on the dive!! My ears almost explode @ 8 feet deep in the pool.. don't think i could handle 60' :shock:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #4
'Cuda

That is incredibly deep. During my diving days in the Caribbean, I loved free diving down to a group of divers and tapping one on the shoulder and watch the shocked look on their faces as I asked to see their depth gauge.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #5
Spinal Tap

WOW! By goggles do you mean those swimming goggles with the little lenses that cover just your eyes or do you mean a mask like those used for scuba diving?
Spinal Tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Jimi

goggles

The little circle ones that cover your eyes. A word of caution, I had saltwater shooting out of my nose the rest of day. I still can not believe I got that fish. I think it made the spicy tuna tacos taste all the better.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
Dean Machine

Jimi, your jigs swim just fine if you ask me. That is a deep dive for a free dive :shock: Great effort on the fish recovery! Just might try that sometime. sounds like fun 8) Sometimes I want to bring my snorkel gear with me, or atleast a mask because ya never know!!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Spinal Tap

Jimi, I'm sure you dove deep to collect your fish but I wonder about the depth. There's a thing called mask squeeze where the pressure of the water forces the mask or goggles into your eyes. With a dive mask you can equalize by blowing air into the mask. But swimming goggles don't allow you to do that (equalize), so either the goggles were imbedded into your eye sockets or you know some secret technique that I need to learn. That must been some challenge getting down without a suit, fins, or weights. What you did is pretty much exactly what spearfishermen do to free their fish.

In case I came across sounding like an ass in my post, let me say that it was not intended to sound like that.

Nate
Old 08-12-2006, 04:34 PM   #9
Jimi

The little goggles definately peeled off. Tell me what depth you are comfortable with and I will revise the story. Really does not matter to me if it was 30,40,50, or 60. Obviously it was an estimation because I was not lucky enough to find a depth guage with the goggles.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
fredhook1

thanks for my battery box

just want to say thanks for finding and returning my battery box
fredhook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
fredhook1

thanks for my battery box

just want to say thanks for finding and returning my battery box
fredhook1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
Spinal Tap

I don't care how deep you went. Heck, if you estimate that you went to 60' then why not estimate almost another atmoshphere and say you went to 90'.

Check the guy in the link. He only went to 15 meters and he was wearing a dive mask.

http://www.bsac14.org.uk/masksq.htm
Old 08-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #13
Dean Machine

That is pretty gnarly looking :shock: I'm trying to figure out why I can't remember anything about being warned of "mask squeeze" while taking the openwater class. :?: Would kinda be useful info if you ask me. I once went dumpster diving.