Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Baja_Traveler

MakoBob San Quintin Tourney Report

In Pictures...

Met Bob, Denis and his dad George at the information center on Mission Bay at 5am, where we departed for the border. After stopping to pick up our FMM cards, made it to the toll road and headed south. I have to say it was the easiest and fastest trip to San Q that I've ever had - We were sitting at Don Eddies by 10am

Rooms were great, and after a good nights sleep, got up at 5am to drive out to the point. Let me say, this is a first - and probably the last - I was the first person on the beach, and the last person to leave it.

Weather was sunny and awesome - but the wind had already started to show itself - saw plenty of harbor seals...

Threw the fly for hours, then the swim baits, then the spoons, then the kitchen sink. Saw dolphin...

Tossed the fly some more. Saw a gray whale coming straight at me...

Then right past giving me the eye...

Wind was really picking up and starting to blow, so I called it a day at lunch. Not a single bite, and certainly no halibut to show for the efforts. Paid a few locals to keep an eye on the truck while i was out - They were still on the job when I got back...

Turns out nobody caught much of anything - Denis caught a few bass and snagged hooked a bat ray - he was high fisherman for the day. That evening one of the groups fishing the Pangas brought in 10 dozen oysters from the oyster farm at the mouth of the bay. Freshest and best tasting oysters I've ever had - we ate good...

Denis volunteered to help spruce the place up, so he left a lasting legacy of his time here by adding to the art work...

One of the things that surprised me most on the drive is the wine country popping up around San Vicinte. None of this was here the last time I passed through - now there are square miles of wine grapes...

Found my way to the Sentri line after passing miles of cars in the regular lanes. Would have never found it if I hadn't printed out the directions before the trip - a little convoluted, but worth it. This is directed at you Bob - hit the end of the line at 10:50, the guard waved me through to I5 at 11:08. You gotta get your card...

Bottom line - I didn't catch a fish, but I could care less. It was a great trip, and I finally got back south of the border - It's been so long I was feeling like I didn't deserve my screen name anymore. Don Eddies is a great place to stay - excellent food, and really good prices. Yes - I'll be doing this again...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You are right, got in line at Tecate at 2:15 crossed at 3:25, bet wait at TJ was 4+ hours on a sunday afternoon. No fish but a fun time, Denis and George stayed to fish a panga today so we should hear from then in a day or so.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
EastLosYaker

Wait time at San Ysidro crossing was 1 hour and 50 mins.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote