Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
maui jim

I have been giving some thought....
I say you go ask for advise form the "Seal Lady" by the Children's Pool in La Jolla, and ask the always kind, always warm and friendly, and ever knowing "Seal Lady" be sure to show her what you will be using, there might be a caliber restriction, but she will know.. She will most likely sign off on this... and presto...changeo...All Good!!
She does have alot of pull with the local authorties, since she is a pillar of the community.

Just a thought..
Old 12-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui jim View Post
I have been giving some thought....
I say you go ask for advise form the "Seal Lady" by the Children's Pool in La Jolla, and ask the always kind, always warm and friendly, and ever knowing "Seal Lady" be sure to show her what you will be using, there might be a caliber restriction, but she will know.. She will most likely sign off on this... and presto...changeo...All Good!!
She does have alot of pull with the local authorties, since she is a pillar of the community.

Just a thought..
Lol, will she bail me out if her info is incorrect?
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE87 View Post
Lol, will she bail me out if her info is incorrect?
Only if buy her a seal furr coat. Hence why she is called the seal lady she loves seal.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
ROOKIE87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
Only if buy her a seal furr coat. Hence why she is called the seal lady she loves seal.
sweet, I'll work on that lol
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Raskal311

Worrying about sharks in our area is a little silly isn't it? I dive at night and it'd the last thing I think about. Besides by the time it got your leg the gun tucked away in a dry box is useless.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
CKallday71

When it's your time it's your time. Besides, how freaking cool would it be to have, Here lies so and so, he was eaten by a shark while doing something he loved.

That would be an EPIC headstone! I'm in!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
Fiskadoro

I have no idea while people think it's illegal to carry a pistol or any gun on a kayak or boat. It's completely legal once your on the water, just don't go into Mexican waters carrying one.

The big issue though is at the launch. While your on land you should not have the weapon on you or even loaded. If you want to carry a handgun put it in a drybag unloaded with the ammo stored in another bag.

I've occasionally taken a Model 642 38 S&W with me fishing.
Don't forget to clean and oil it.

As to shooting sharks the last thing I'd ever want to shoot is a protected species like a Great White. That said if I was on the water and a Great White was actively attacking my Kayak and I had a 38 with me I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. As many times as I could right in the head.

Also as far as the effects of guns on sharks goes... Well I used to fish sharks all the time and we used to shoot our Makos and threshers with a 22 long rifle in the head. Maybe it didn't kill them but it would stun them to the point they couldn't do anything,

For instance this Adult T fought for over and hour and drug us five miles but once we gaffed her with the fly gaff she took off so hard she almost ripped the cleat right off the boat. We shot her with the 22 maybe four times in the head and after that we had no problem pulling her back to the boat, tying her along side and cutting her gills and spinal cord.

I'm not saying that anyone should carry a gun or that it's necessary but it is legal, and though I think the risk of white attack is minimal, just logistically from my experience shooting a shark definitely does have an effect on it and if you hit in the brain stem or cord it would incapacitate it.

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 12-12-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post

I've occasionally taken a Model 642 38 S&W with me fishing

Holy SH*^!

Don't mess with jimday he'll bust a cap in yo' punk ass!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
TJones

On the serious side

What about a bang stick as last resort?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
skrilla

You should be packin heat anyway for those asshole halibut that hit the deck.