Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
FISHIONADO

6/23 AM LJ

Launched at 4:45am, no waves, lots of stingrays. Paddled over and saw Dennis and Ryan making bait at the pier. The boat crane was not over the water so the lights were not working for us, those guys made a few baits but I never did. I went north and pounded the sand with my already well used gulp squid, caught a couple of 12 and 14" cabezon by the canyon buoy and beach house. Made one greenback and soaked him near the bottom up to Blacks south peak. Saw a guy board fishing near middle peak but didn't get close enough to say hello. My sabiki picked up an 8" lizard fish and tangled with my soaking mack causing the mack to get away. I untangled the mess and hooked up the lizard and noticed a small knot in the middle of my flouro leader, I tried to untie it but the lizard was nearly dead and I needed to get to work so I put it down on the bottom and trolled to the pier. Caught another cabezon type fish (I'll add a photo tonight for help with ID) on the gulp squid and as I was releasing it the clicker on the lizard rod makes a little noise and stops. I reel everything else in and then check the rod, feels heavy and no give at all, feels like a snag. Just as I'm getting ready to thumb it and pull harder to unsnag, it jerks really hard twice, goes slack, and then yanks one more time and snaps the line. Damn! I reel it in and see it broke at the unwanted knot in the middle of my leader. Lesson freaking learned! Landed at 9:00am, no waves, no crowd, wind just starting to pick up a little. Next time. Dave
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #2
Gettinuglysson
Newb

thanks for the report. how do you rig your gulp squid? i have a couple that i want to try but i'm not sure what the best way to rig it would be.

thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Ryan The Sealion

good to see ya out there dave sorry about ur breakoff..probably that halibut you were hopin for me and D had fun with the calico's, but that was it... birds were goin crazy straight west of the pier a few miles (around 6:30)couldn't get there in time, but we paddled out there to find schools of sardines with macks on em...looked like a few cuda mixed in too, but none of the right kind..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettinuglysson
how do you rig your gulp squid?
I use a 2/0 ringed J hook and hook them through the head like I would a live mack or squid, within 1/2" of the end. These things are durable, after the first trip I just insert the hook from a different angle. They don't flyline well so I use a 2oz slider above a swivel on one rod, and a plastic slider with snap swivel and 4oz weight on the other rod. With the plastic slider/snap swivel you can easily change weight sizes for conditions or just leave the weight off if you want to flyline a live mack. Those are my standard riggings for live bait also. Then I drift or troll slowly with just the clicker set and the weights hitting the bottom occasionally. Hope that helps. Dave
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
T-Rex

Bummer about your leader snapping. I learned that same hard lesson about a year ago. Now I always check my line and re-tie if there's any damage at all.
T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #6
bwana

I tried threading the line through the center of the squid using a big needle and put a treble at the end - ended up being a waste of time - didn't swim right. Might play with that more if really bored.

Fished with either single hook like already mentioned or I'll use a leadhead to pin on a squid. The glow in the dark work really well with the Gulp squid at times.

Here's a tip, if you are going to save the used ones, save an empty gulp bag and put your "recylced" ones in there. According to the Gulp manufacturer rep, putting them back in with new ones does rob the new ones of their power.

Bwana
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
Dennis

Next time, Dave. You said that you were going to pound sand for a hali, looked like you were about to get one. Sorry, bro. Nice seeing you out there. We also ran into Jimi, and Tobey on the beach.
Calico city yesterday morning. I did run into a couple of breezer around the Dec. spot, tossed a couple of times to them but no takers. Then the water became noisy with tons of horse dines... I paddle over to Ryan, and we decide to gun it to a bird pile NW of the point. They were going north, and we knew it'd be tough catching up to them. So, we went south...
Landed at 1100. Here's Ryan with a calico.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote