Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
TCS

Gonzaga area camping

I’ll be driving down to loreto at the end of the month and figure I’ll make a quick overnight stop with a morning of fishing around Gonzaga. I’d appreciate a recommendation on where to camp and launch the kayak. My cars got fairly low clearance so I won’t be able to traverse any goat trails.

Also, if you’ve fished a kayak around loreto I’d like to hear about that as well. Planning on surfing for a week or so after loreto.

Solo trip. Plenty of Baja experience.

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:48 AM   #2
Mahigeer

I posted this long ago. It may help you some.

This report is for people who would like to join Mr. MakoBob in Baja, kayak fishing for the first time.
It is recommendations based on my own observations during the recent trip. The reader may need to adjust to their own needs and way of doing things.

Unless you are a young and in good physical condition with commend of a paddle only kayak; Hobie Mirage drive kayaks could be the most important item that you need on this trip.

The paddle only kayakers will benefit of using spinning reel outfits rather than the conventional reels.
While you are undoing the inevitable and unavoidable backlash, the kayak most likely will change position due to wind and current.

For fishing gear; small castmaster and Krocodile lures in silver color are the go to lures. Steel leader is a must to keep from losing lures. Fish here are not line shy. Double check the ready-made steel leaders.

If at all possible, use a buddy system to go south. In addition to the obvious---safety in numbers and saving on fuel cost, it is very helpful to have someone with you all the time to help with loading, unloading of the gear and the kayaks. It is more likely others will help you if they are there and asked, but they may not be around.

Be mindful of others to see if they need help. Travis who is in the Navy and is trained to be a team member was an example of this attitude. He saw me coming off the water, and came to help me put the kayak on the dolly. Later he asked if I needed help loading my heavy Yeti cooler. Thanks Travis.

Having you own transportation, makes it possible to fish other location than the camp.

We had a working bathroom and shower. No hot water, but it was really not necessary. The water in the tank on the roof was warming up in the sun and felt good in the hot environment. Bob is building his own bathroom, and may have a solar heater.

There is hot food and shower at the restaurant.
Starting a week before departure, I took Bioprobics pills and used only bottle water to wash my teeth.
Be sure to keep your food in cooler and cold.

Stay in shade whenever possible and drink plenty of fluids. A hat and sunglass are a must.

No need to exchange Dollars for pesos. Everybody accepts Dollars.
Though I did not get to see it personally, there is a store which has ice and some other necessities.
20 lbs. bag of ice was 50.00 Pesos. I had 50 lbs. of block ice in my Yeti cooler which lasted (7) days. Then I had to get a bag of ice. The block ice last long, but it leaves little room for other stuff. Depending on the size of the cooler.

The camp is safe to leave your stuff. Valuables like passport, money, camera, etc. should be locked in your vehicle. My motto is from an old insurance commercial—“Prevention is the best protection”.
A sun shade for your windshield will help keep your vehicle cooler. Maybe a small solar charger hooked up to your battery will keep your battery up in its charge. Providing you don’t drive at all for a week.

Most people left their kayaks on the beach (see picture in my report), above the high tide line. No problem. Some even left their rods there.

Even if you don’t catch any fish, which will be hard to do, you will get a great exercise. I lost (7) lbs. paddling, pulling kayak on soft sand, walking on soft sand, loading and unloading gear and sweating.

A comfortable chair and a small table will be very useful during the meals and other times relaxing on the porch. A binocular will provide a good view of the activity on the water in the distance.

I am updating my personal list. Adding some items and removing some items. If you like, send a PM to me and I will send you my list. It could be a reference to start your own list.

I had a problem with my VHF radio antenna. My battery also was nearly empty even though it was off!
A spare one as well as a spare battery which is charged would be an additional safety items to have.

Be prepared, pay attention to safety, and most importantly take along a good attitude to share with friends.

As your host would say---“tight lines and fishy dreams”.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
We stayed at Makovill, (8) miles north of Gonzaga Bay.
This is the sign to Makovill at the main highway.

A very good restaurant there too.

There is a motel at Gonzaga Bay. Call first for reservation. Not cheap, but eliminates a lot of camping gear.
This was 2017, I am sure it has changed by now.

I have posted several long reports about my trips there, with a lot of pictures. Recommend reading them.

All the best
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:41 PM   #3
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Campo Beluga
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 08:36 PM   #4
TCS

Campo beluga looks perfect. Thx
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote