Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 PM   #1
lamb

La Jolla 4/10/06 AMs

On the beach at 4:15AM. Figured I’d give myself enough time to catch bait under the lights – I’ve never really done that. The swell at the pier seemed intimidating from the distance, so I tried to get something going on the marks I was picking up maybe 50 yards west. No go… Then I see another kayaker heading straight for the pier, so I paddled closer. I was glad to see Andy - at least one of us knew what he was doing.

I watched him slowly but surely pick couple of pieces. Nothing for me. I blamed it on my “hairy” sabiki and reeled it in to replace it. That’s when I realized that 3 out of 4 hooks were no longer hooks. Doh… Andy takes off and I keep trying in the dark.

I just couldn’t catch bait under the light. Period. I spent 4 cans of cat food, it was already gray big time, and I didn’t have a single piece. Frustrating. Started moving North in hope to find them there and indeed, 100 yards north, I pick up about a dozen candy greenies in 3 drops. Turbo paddle back to the kelp land.

30 yards before I got to my final destination, about 7:00AM, in about 70ft of water, I hear this sweet sound of zzzzzzzzzzz… I let it take a looong run and put it in gear - fish on! It pulled hard, and started towing me towards the kelp… Well, it was towing me east; we were already on the top of suspended kelp. Lots of short powerful runs and violent headshakes. We were playing up’n down game; I felt the line rubbing on the stringers twice. Luckily, the fish didn't manage to tangle me up. After good 10 mins battle, it finally got tired. Easy gaff - LAMB ON BOARD!!!

Now, the funny/could-have-been-ugly part... I had the fish in my lap; I was talking to Lang (nice to meet you!) while I was trying to reach back for the clip. C-lamb makes the final strong kick with its tail, managing to yank itself from my tight loving hug… It goes straight back in the water, with my gaff through its shoulder. :? The hook was still in its mouth, but I instinctively grabbed it by the lower jaw with my left hand, and seized the gaff with my right hand. Back on board, you're going nowhere. Managed to scrape good chunk of skin and meat from my finger though... Let me tell ya’ – it didn't hurt at al!!

It was a slow day, and I got lucky. 50” / 40#, my maiden kayak WSB. When I brought it on board she said “thank god, at least it’s not Brad...”. :lol:

Matt!!!! 60 points, Lamb is on board. Game on!