Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Fomen

Making bait

So there's a gentleman on here who recently posted a thread about having trouble making bait. He's making custom sabiki rigs to help. They look great, but I don't think the problem is the sabiki. The sabiki rig it tried and true. The trouble is finding schools of bait fish to toss your sabiki rig into. Well, it's a lot easier to make bait if you bring the bait fish to you instead of randomly (and sometimes aimlessly) looking for the school, or ambiguously tossing around you in hopes that your sabiki will find a school or a few random members.

I've known Tommy Gomes for about a decade now. If you don't know who Tommy is, if you use Uni Butter fish attractant, he's the guy who invented it and manufactures it. He also makes another product called "Uni Goop". Tommy is affiliated with catalina Offshore Products. They are one of the main suppliers of restaurant grade sushi products to businesses and the general product. When Tommy and his crew were harvesting the uni out of the sea urchins, he noticed that the uni only comprises about 2% of what is inside of the urchin. So he started putting the remaining 98% into gallon sized mesh sacks, freezing it, and selling it to local fisherman as a chum/attractant. If you've never seen it work, here's the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ySFp9f4zCc

I used to own a 18' Sea Pro center console. There were several occasions that I used Uni Goop, and believe you me, you will have a school of hundreds of bait fish around your boat in 60 to 90 seconds. Drop your sabiki into the school, and you can catch 25-30 of them before they catch on and stop biting the sabiki.

The trouble with the current size of the Uni Goop is it's in a 1 gallon tub. It's too big and heavy for use on a kayak. So after reading a bunch of threads about guys having trouble making bait, I gave Tommy a call. I proposed a kayak sized version of Uni Goop. It would be in a 1 pint container, so it could easily be transported in a kayak. All you would have to do is anchor yourself onto a stringer of kelp, tie a small rope to the sack of Uni Goop, hang it over the side of the kayak, and shake it a little. The current will take care of the rest. You will have a school of bait fish circling your boat in a matter of about minute. Then toss in your sabiki to make some quick bait. The less time you spend trying to make bait, the faster you can start doing what you initially intended to do- RIP LIPS!

I'm meeting with Tommy next week to discuss the proposal. I just wanted to throw out this thread to get some feedback. Would you guys be willing to use the product if Tommy started making it in pint sized versions. The more guys that say yes, they better chances he will jump on board. Once he gets going on it, we can help him get it into many of the local kayak shops and bait and tackle shops. Not sure about the price, but it certainly won't break the bank.

Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Fomen; 09-04-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote