Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Are you here for feedback or to make a pitch?

My dude, I barely find time to backup my gps coordinates.
You’re suggesting that I treat a proprietary platform as though it were open source.

When I pay for what is frankly an exorbitant license, I expect the software to work. I’m pretty sure I’d put accuracy at the top of the list in describing how a map works.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Denis_Ruso

I completely agree on updating software. If I had it, probably wouldn't ever do it.

Still trying to justify the price of the mapping software for coastal kayak use. I mean sure awesome for areas you haven't explored. But once you fish an area a few times, all the GPS marks pretty much map it out for me.

So 200$ for the once a year I fish a new spot is hard to justify. Should have gotten the West Marine deal where they throw in the mapping for 50$ when u buy the fish finder.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I completely agree on updating software. If I had it, probably wouldn't ever do it.

Still trying to justify the price of the mapping software for coastal kayak use. I mean sure awesome for areas you haven't explored. But once you fish an area a few times, all the GPS marks pretty much map it out for me.

So 200$ for the once a year I fish a new spot is hard to justify. Should have gotten the West Marine deal where they throw in the mapping for 50$ when u buy the fish finder.

IMO coastal areas probably change the most. I try and update once a month, that seems to be the sweet spot for me with how often Navionics updates the maps. If you keep an eye out, you can catch a decent deal on the website. I know not everyone logs onto Navionics as often as some, but if I’m allowed to stick around, I’d be happy to let those that are interested know when we are running a deal, for what it’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NavionicsSpecJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Are you here for feedback or to make a pitch?

My dude, I barely find time to backup my gps coordinates.

You’re suggesting that I treat a proprietary platform as though it were open source.

When I pay for what is frankly an exorbitant license, I expect the software to work. I’m pretty sure I’d put accuracy at the top of the list in describing how a map works.

Feed back. I think most people draw their own conclusions on the software. I try and update once a month because they update the maps on a regular basis. I’m not trying to make a sales pitch, just hoping to be a resource for those that do use the software. I know everyone has their preferences and their opinions on what is the “best”. I kayak fish, I work a full time job (not Navionics) and Navionics has been a very useful tool in my fishing.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavionicsSpecJason View Post
Feed back. I think most people draw their own conclusions on the software. I try and update once a month because they update the maps on a regular basis. I’m not trying to make a sales pitch, just hoping to be a resource for those that do use the software. I know everyone has their preferences and their opinions on what is the “best”. I kayak fish, I work a full time job (not Navionics) and Navionics has been a very useful tool in my fishing.

Post some reports on some of your kayak fishing trips. I’d like to see how you use your mapping in conjunction with Fishing.
I’m sure people people would be more eager to give you information if they felt you were contributing.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'll update my charts when I buy another fishfinder gold package that comes with the chip, which won't happen until my Dragonfly dies. I also won't do any community edits, who has time to figure that out? And why would I pay for a map then spend time updating the data for them so they can charge me again for the update?
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:44 AM   #7
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89

Post some reports on some of your kayak fishing trips. I’d like to see how you use your mapping in conjunction with Fishing.
I’m sure people people would be more eager to give you information if they felt you were contributing.
This is a really great idea. I for one would love to see how you benefit from charts on the water and how it translates into fish. Shoot you could do a whole YouTube series and get a promotion.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
crashcrow

I don't think the west coast changes as much as the East. Don't think the 9 mile bank or any of the ship wrecks are going anywhere soon. I don't know where you fish or what you target but I don't see much changing around here.
crashcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #9
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

JASON, I'm glad you are here and offering to help us with any questions we might have.

It's like having friendly personal access to a Navionics tech rep without having to wait to go to the Navionics booth at a trade show somewhere.

Thank you for reaching out. I don't find your posts to be indirect, or disingenuous, or annoying sales hype at all. It's more like good customer support and service. You have been very straightforward and truthful about who you are and why you are here. It's nice to have you available as an authoritative resource to help us with any questions about Navionics products.

Speaking for myself as a kayak fishing enthusiast who enjoys hanging out and learning with kindred spirits here, I welcome you to these forums. I always enjoy learning more about anything. Life is sweet :-)

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 08-09-2018 at 09:57 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
NavionicsSpecJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcrow View Post
I don't think the west coast changes as much as the East. Don't think the 9 mile bank or any of the ship wrecks are going anywhere soon. I don't know where you fish or what you target but I don't see much changing around here.

I can see your point, west coast doesn’t get the storms that the eastern or southern parts of the US do. I live in Alabama and fish a lot of freshwater and hit Florida inshore fishing. I want to fish out west, especially California. Y’all have got some MONSTER largemouth, and some salt species that we don’t see in the parts of Florida I fish.