Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #1
Dave I.

Wetsuit for the winter?

This is my first winter with my Yak, and i don't have any cold water gear. I noticed on the BWE Store that they have 3mm suits, but at the OEX store i've seen 5mm suits. Which one should i get? I have splash pants but as crappy as i am at recovery i want something more. Or should just get waders in wear thermals and splash suit?

Dave
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Billy V

I really like the Hodgman Wadelite Breathable Waders w/Stocking Foot.

I wear an oversized pair of dive boots over the foot so I can walk to the car and back without wearing through the foot.

Lots of comfort.
-------------------------
I bought mine at the Cabelas store in Reno, so I had the chance to try on every brand of wader in the store.
Hodgman Waderlite were the most comfortable.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
FISHIONADO

It's uncomfortable to paddle very far in a full wetsuit. I wear 1mm wetsuit pants from NRS under some splash pants, 5mm dive booties, and a breathable jacket. My legs do get wet but the 1mm wetsuit keeps them warm and the splash pants prevent evaporation cooling. I can remove layers if the sun comes out and it gets warm.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Dan

waders all the way. nothing like landing after a morning of fishing and being bone dry. Layer accordingly under them and you'll never be cold.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #5
Siebler

If your looking at the 5mm suits we have at OEX PL forget about paddling in them. First off your going to be too restrictive and 2nd youll overheat no matter how cold it is. These are Freedive Suits and a very tight fit and very warm.

Go Mysterioso and splash gear over that. You wont regret it.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
landwhale

Eastport paddle pants and top with warm clothes under. I have found with the neoprene and velcro straps tightened at my ankles the water keeps out of my legs, add a pair off bootie and I'm off.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
Dan W.

I wore 3mm wetsuit bottoms for the past few winters and regret it. I just bought some breathable Hodgemans at Sports Authority for $75. The wetsuit bottoms always kept me warm but they were so damn uncomfortable after a couple hours. No more itchy wet legs for me. Being dry makes a world of difference and now I'm warm and comfy all day. I don't recommend itchy wet legs and especially not a full suit.
Dan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

Eureka!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
waders all the way. nothing like landing after a morning of fishing and being bone dry. Layer accordingly under them and you'll never be cold.
Price of Hodgman wadelite $100, price of NRS splashjacket that velcro's at the wrists and neck $45, slipping off my waders and sitting right on the couch in dry clothes after fishing for fourteen hours, priceless .
Old 12-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #9
Adam12

Is it true that theres a possibility of the waders filling up with water and sinking you if you go overboard?
Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #10
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12 View Post
Is it true that theres a possibility of the waders filling up with water and sinking you if you go overboard?
If they fill with water it would make it nearly impossible to get out of the water unless you can get the waders off, but it won't make you sink like a rock or anything.

A few people have done tests. One of the findings was that if you have a splash jacket on when you fall in, your waders won't take on much water at all.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam12 View Post
This should disprove that myth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwG52p4yjs

The water inside the waders is the same weight and density as the water outside. It is not going to cause you to sink. If you are floating in still water it won't matter how much water is in your clothes. It is when trying to get out of the water that you will notice the weight. It doesn't matter if it is waders or a baggy jacket; anything that will hold a large volume of water will weight a lot when you try to remove it from the water. Loose clothing will also increase your drag and make it more difficult to swim. This is where the 'killer wader' myth comes from. Guys wearing baggy waders fall into a moving stream or river and the waders act like a drift chute. The moving water acts over a much larger surface area and carries you downstream. You don't have the strength to overcome the force of the water acting over the large sail area of the waders. If you have ever deployed a drift chute, you'll know exactly how the waders would act in moving water. Using the belt with the waders or waders that fit snug will eliminate the danger in moving water. The breathable waders, like the ones made by Hodgeman, don't hold much water. Even if they fill up, there isn't enough weight to make it hard to reenter. I've had more difficulty reentering my kayak wearing cammies than I have with my waders. Any loose or baggy clothing could cause problems in the water. That's why most paddling gear is designed to fit snug.

More important that anything else: always wear a PFD and practice reenty enough times that it becomes second nature.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #12
FISHIONADO

How long before waders start leaking? Is it easy to patch holes from hooks? Are they really breathable or do they get damp inside from perspiration? Most important, how do you take a piss wearing waders on a kayak?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
Matt
Support your local pangas

Well they start leaking when you get your sabiki stuck in them, as ghetto as it may seem I have put duct tape on the inside to seal holes, although they do make repair kits, as far as taking a piss just pull 'em down. I have the zippered fronts, the only down side is the zipper can leak a bit, but not too bad really.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
as far as taking a piss just pull 'em down. I have the zippered fronts, the only down side is the zipper can leak a bit, but not too bad really.
I thought maybe size does matter to be able to roll the hose out of those things. A friend once asked me "have you ever seen the date code on a condom?". I said no, he laughed and said "you've never had to roll one down that far". Ha
Old 12-16-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
erinoo

Dave, The Hodgeman breathable is the way to go, as far as I’m concerned. I've had the different dry pants and neoprene waders, but the breathable has outperformed the rest. Taking a piss, nothing to it, especially for some of us. I got a small hole in the leg, (gaff). Just applied a small amount of marine goop and fixed, still dry. They keep you warm with a good under layer and cool with only shorts....Eric fficeffice" />>>
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Most important, how do you take a piss wearing waders on a kayak?

Catheter bag?
Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Most important, how do you take a piss wearing waders on a kayak?
A 20 oz. Gatoraide bottle has a wide top opening and works fine.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #18
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy V View Post
A 20 oz. Gatoraide bottle has a wide top opening and works fine.
How in-efficient is that?
You waste all that stored thermal energy in the urine (98.6°F)
by letting back into the cold ocean. No divers here?
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
Quilted Germ

?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinoo View Post
Taking a piss, nothing to it, especially for some of us. I got a small hole in the leg, (gaff). " />>>

That's a pretty small hole....
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #20
forefrazier

Here is a pretty good write up on chest waders and re-entry from TKF forum....

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum...685&highlight=
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote