Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
the dude

Lake Silverwood

I'm camping there with my family this weekend for the first time...I'd appreciate any info on what works best for the stripers. Is the launch free for kayaks? Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
Matar
I am just me.

There is a hand lanuching beach there just ask the rangers. This is a party place and when we stayed there people were playing there music and getting out of hand intil 3am and then people were preping there boats and runnign them in camp at 5am. The rangers are no help, the gang bangers ran the place.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
danjor

I have done my fair share of fishing at silverwood. Last time i was there was july 5th. The sting algae made bass fishing all but impossible that day, never seen the algae that bad. Still managed 2 short lmb
Launching is free for kayaks just normal fee to get in. For strippers troll a large trout swimbait slowly. Dam, cleghorn and the spillway are the stripe kinda hangout spots. Just be prepared for a big one. I have had them break 20lbs floro leaders on the inital strike. If you have any other question pm me.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #4
Deefeesha

It's decent there. Watchout for PBers, they drive like asses and real close for comfort.

Make sure your kayak is dried, the Rangers will ask.

Don't speed, Rangers do issue DUI's there.

Drift dines or chovies by the inlet and spillway. And big swimbaits. Certain coves have been producing.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
the dude

thanks guys!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
YakMedic

It's a good lake but can be a zoo on a summer weekend, keep your head on a swivel and pay close attention to jet skiers

For stripers I bring my calico bass set up, spooled with 30lb spectra and fling the hell out of some swimbaits, waxwings, any big lure you have basically. For trolling I will put on a rat-l-trap or rapala.

For a bait rod, I fish 12-17lb line and let it drift while I work a lure.

Silverwood held the state record on Striped bass for quite a few years and there are still some bigguns in the lake. The bite has been intermittent lately but can blow up any time the weather is hot.

Bring an outfit for panfish too, last week I paddled into an early morning crappie boil, it was crazy to see.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Jonesyak

I have been fishing silverwood for 6 years now.

I park at pilot rock do the 2 mile hike into miller canyon =)

When trout are running, that area where the fresh water is spilling off the hills produces best.

They built a new a metal dock and swim area in miller canyon, little bluegill and (i think croppies?) hang out here and bite little rubber jigs.

Cat fish bite in the summer (year round is rumor); once again miller canyon is extremely productive. – Saw a 12 lb kitty caught on frozen chovies last week -

Silverwood is known for its stripper, anyone that debuts there size can stop by my hardware store in SB.... 36lbs>>

The spillway is known to have fish; however it is illegal to fish inside the fence. And the biggest strippers have been caught near the damn. All the fish I know of were caught on live bait, however it is illegal to fish with live bait in CA, so don’t get caught!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #8
danjor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesyak View Post
I have been fishing silverwood for 6 years now.

I park at pilot rock do the 2 mile hike into miller canyon =)

When trout are running, that area where the fresh water is spilling off the hills produces best.

They built a new a metal dock and swim area in miller canyon, little bluegill and (i think croppies?) hang out here and bite little rubber jigs.

Cat fish bite in the summer (year round is rumor); once again miller canyon is extremely productive. – Saw a 12 lb kitty caught on frozen chovies last week -

Silverwood is known for its stripper, anyone that debuts there size can stop by my hardware store in SB.... 36lbs>>

The spillway is known to have fish; however it is illegal to fish inside the fence. And the biggest strippers have been caught near the damn. All the fish I know of were caught on live bait, however it is illegal to fish with live bait in CA, so don’t get caught!

Correction everywhere except colorado river.
and the live bait prob is why silverwood is home to some of the biggest goldfish i have ever seen or heard of. 2 years ago i hooked and released a 21 inch goldfish in 2 feet of water with a nightcrawler. Yea a goldfish not a carp. Ever since i take time out to paddle the shallows and count them. Norm see 1-4 per trip in the reeds swiming if you know where to look.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote