Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
tagyak

lowrance hds-5 vs hds-5x???

well i know that this has been discussed before, but i would like to get some feedback from those of you who had purchased the Lowrance HDS-5 or 5x.

i am currently in the market for one and i am getting confused on the the different HDS products.
i have narrowed the choice to the HDS-5 and the HDS-5x. can you guys let me know what you had bought and why you chose one over the other? my main reason for getting one of these is for the high resolution imaging. so any insight that you guys can give me would be great.

thanks,
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
flydigital

HDS-5 because I want GPS too.

HDS-5X is sonar only.

Its pricer for the GPS combo but I've tried every combination of alternative and for me its best to have it all in one unit.

Check out the Elite 5 as well, which is one step down from the HDS... lower resolution and sonar power but still a great unit.

But from experience with my friends who have bought all these models, most are happiest with the full HDS-5. Highly recommended.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Phatford
Heroes on the Water Staff

I have the elite 5 and wish I had more adjustments that my larger older lowrance has and Im sure HDS units have. The fish n chip is the only way to go for kayak fishing.
Phatford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Yep, skip the Nautic Insight and go straight for the Fish N Chip by Navionics. I had several problems with the Elite 5, and am much happier with the HDS 5. I went with the thru hull transducer by Airmar (P319) which required a 2" hole in the bottom of my yak. They also make a model that will mount thru scupper (B45-BL). Or you can mount the standard Lowrance transducer over the side to get accurate water temps. If water temps are no big deal to you, you can Goop or marine epoxy the standard one inside.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
StinkyMatt

I'll take your old unit after you get the new one. Trade you some nice fresh King Salmon filets.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
tagyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Yep, skip the Nautic Insight and go straight for the Fish N Chip by Navionics. I had several problems with the Elite 5, and am much happier with the HDS 5. I went with the thru hull transducer by Airmar (P319) which required a 2" hole in the bottom of my yak. They also make a model that will mount thru scupper (B45-BL). Or you can mount the standard Lowrance transducer over the side to get accurate water temps. If water temps are no big deal to you, you can Goop or marine epoxy the standard one inside.
hey greg,

i looked up the airmar p319. isn't this a garmin product? if so, did you have any issues with using this for the lowrance transponder? also which transponder did you get? the 83 hrz or the 50 hrz?

thanks,

tim
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
GregAndrew

They make the P319 for several different FF manufacturers. I believe the actual part number is P319-BL for the Lowrance connector. It only comes in 50/200 khz with 45 and 12 degree cone angles respectively. The 12 degree 200 khz gives a limited view (about 20% of the depth), but when it shows something you will know that you are right above it. They are about $128 at blueherronmarine.com.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
MVC

Greg, other than an accurate water temp with the thru the hull transducer do you notice any better reception over a wet mount inside the hull.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
GregAndrew

With a good wet mount I don't think there would be much if any difference in the readings produced. There were a couple of problems I had with a wet mount of the HDS tranducer, mostly related to it requiring a large space. The standard transducer for that unit is huge (for a kayak), which requires a big container for a wet mount. That takes up valuable space and adds weight to your ride. In my kayak, you would have a hard time installing a wet mount container anywhere but the center of the hull (the most valuable storage space). It is also the place most likely to be bumped by my other gear which could damage the container or the Goop job on surf launches. This one was pretty much "set it and forget it". The manufacturer said that there was not even any concern for scrapes and scratches on the face of the transducer from dragging your yak.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #10
Quilted Germ

What's the Fish and Chip referred to above....I've seen the Nautic Insight, but not sure about fish and chip......
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
What's the Fish and Chip referred to above....I've seen the Nautic Insight, but not sure about fish and chip......

The fish N Chip is from Navionic
its not used for navigation , its used for fishing .

http://www.navionics.com/MarineFeatures_FishNChip.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXLcO1SXBAg
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote