Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
fishinfreak

Sea of Cortez Kayak Fishing

I'm heading down to Baja this friday with my dad, and we're bringing my kayak with us. I'm hoping I can fish in areas like Bahia de los Angeles, Mulege, Santa Rosalia and Loreto. I'm under the impression that the BOLA yellowtail fishing is mostly reef-focused and centered on artificials and irons. Should I bother with live bait fishing there? Down towards the other locations that I mentioned, I will likely find more dorado, amberjack and grouper. Troll rapalas for dorado? I think that would be semi-difficult behind my slow kayak. Reefs for amberjack and grouper like I was fishing for yellows? How about making live bait in the Sea of Cortez? We might make a stop at Abreojos. It seems the offshore fishing hasn't started up quite yet and the yellowtail haven't quite moved in. If I fish the estero there, should I focus on artificials like I was fishing bass in Mission or San Diego Bay? I know it's a lot of questions, and I will likely have to go down there and answer them myself. But please share with me whatever tips and advice you're willing to give!

I will hopefully find myself getting very barreled and catching lots of fish next week. Gracias.
fishinfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #2
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Be careful the weather can get bad fast down.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
dorado50

Best time to kayak fish S R and Mulege is late fall and spring.Lots of inshore yt. Dorado are at least three if not more miles outside, good luck on that one. Do Not get caught in the mid day winds you will regret. Kayak fishing in this area is not easy. Last spring it took me a day and ahalf to reach the yt in Mulege. Abreojos area is great kayak fishing. By the way, it is very hot there right now so hard to be on kayak for any length of time.

Last edited by dorado50; 07-10-2011 at 08:18 PM.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Riskey Water

Coyote Bay has always been good to me and they have a nice campground with palapas ,have fun and good luck !!!
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
bigbarrels

Sounds like a perfect vacation.....fish and surf......good luck..... x2 on Abreojos if you are going to try out the PAcific side......great fishing and plenty of surf spots....just watch out for the howling offshore winds if you kayak there my Avatar shot is at Abreojos On the Cortez side I've been to the San Nicholas area which is desolate camping with great fishing......it is just north of Loreto and requires around a 40 minute dirt road to get there.......my firend and I caught 72 dorado in 3 days there one year off his Gregor....
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
j mo

I hope you are bringing Tyler..... Abre is a nice place to camp/ surf /fish. flys can brutal. If you want a quick "hit" try El Soccoro
( EL S o c c o r o)
better fishing than surf. Also tons of lobster, clams.....

You can also stop at the "Wall" for an overnighter, depending on what time you leave SD its a good place to make your first stop on the way down.

Wont be much surf this time of year but you will load up on sea creatures. Fish the "hole" just north of the main camp. Tide fills in a little pond (4 feet deep max), the halibut use to spawn and feed. Great place to hit when the wind is whipping, as it will. The closest Ive come to fishing out of a barrell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abreojos.jpg (1.9 KB, 196 views)
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #7
fishinfreak

Thanks for all the advice guys.

J Mo: Unfortunately Tyler thinks that doing construction all day is more important than fishing La Jolla and Baja. I think the plan is to stop in Guerrero Negro the first night, but we definently want to pull of the highway and check out the Seven Sisters area. I will certainly look into The Wall and the fishing there. I've heard of that place before because of the surf. The drive will likely prove more brutal than expected, so having a closer rest/overnight spot would be perfect. (Not to mention we could hit it on the way back up.)

Big Barrels: I will certainly fish the estero at abreojos, and I'll talk to the locals about how the local jurel fishing is to see whether I should head offshore or not. I know Asuncion has kelp beds, does Abreojos have them too? Is the yellowtail fishing there similar to that of La Jolla? Or is it more reef-focused? I'm hopeful that I can hit Abreojos right and score some surf; looks like I should be down there right now because our south swell is hitting the reef there nicely. Abreojos may be a surf oriented stop based on what day the surf will be best when we're down there. I really hope I can get into some dodo's within kayak range from the beach on the Cortez side. If not, I can always fish the inshore reefs for smaller fish and take a panga or cruiser offshore for some bigger game fishing.

Gracias guys
Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
bigbarrels

Abreojos was all reef fishing and the YT were thick and not too far off the main point in town........we launched where the pangas launched and found ourselves on top of visible schools of YT.....caught YT on the surface iron, iron, and trolled Greenback......had to be off the water by 1030 most days and 1200 and one of the days due to the predictable offshore winds.....also the reefs were easy to locate in October due to alll the lobster buoys marking the reef and the guys on pangas point to where to fish as the cruised by.....

good luck down there!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
j mo

Better make sure you pull over to piss on the west side of the 1....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...an-desert.html
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post

HOLY CRAP!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
fishinkid2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post

I'm pretty sure Reilly won't be back in a week like planned, to get back to fishing with me anymore... he'll be there a few extra days now.
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #12
fishinfreak

For the ridiculous fishing and surf of course... looks like it will be mostly flat when I'm there. I'll be in Bahia de los Angeles tomorrow!