Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #1
FISH11

THE DANGER AT THE BEACH, NOW!

Here is an article this morning on Yahoo News. We all have heard for years about the danger of going out in the ocean right after storms. This is just another reminder about some of those concerns with the Covid 19 added on, making the possibility more DEADLY. https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...140029412.html
Old 04-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Here is an article this morning on Yahoo News. We all have heard for years about the danger of going out in the ocean right after storms. This is just another reminder about some of those concerns with the Covid 19 added on, making the possibility more DEADLY. https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...140029412.html

Interesting read but I question her premise that the same phenomenon that can spread bacteria could do the same for a virus. And if the spread of the other things she mentions is so pervasive why do we go to the beach at all?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

please quit spreading misinformation.. Yahoo news? Really credible source there..

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
FISH11

You must want FOX fake news! It's an article from a Scripps Scientist!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
TheBentRod

Article has some great points

Things to think about.

Although, she mentions studies on corona virus in sewage. But does not provide conclusions on those studies. World wide scientists truly on the forefront don’t know. I would prefer more information on his studies and how he was able to study Covid-19 in sewage. This point of view does not discount other positions by author.

One thing is certain, we need more facts and less assumptions.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
Things to think about.

Although, she mentions studies on corona virus in sewage. But does not provide conclusions on those studies. World wide scientists truly on the forefront don’t know. I would prefer more information on his studies and how he was able to study Covid-19 in sewage. This point of view does not discount other positions by author.

This ^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #7
FoodGeekFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBentRod View Post
Things to think about.

FoodGeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Baja_Traveler

This lady is an atmospheric chemist making a bunch of assumptions. If her theory really bore out we would have been seeing a much greater incidence of flu and colds among surfers and the population that lives right on the beach. We don't - just another scientist who posted an unverified theory and the lame stream media picked it up and ran with it...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Every body wants to write a book or get there name on some hopeful breakthrough. Unless it comes from the 'top' you really can not put much faith in anything being said (and even the 'top' is questionable much of the time). Its mostly all conjecture, guesses and often just BS. Just use common sense, which seems to be in short supply.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Every body wants to write a book or get there name on some hopeful breakthrough. Unless it comes from the 'top' you really can not put much faith in anything being said (and even the 'top' is questionable much of the time). Its mostly all conjecture, guesses and often just BS. Just use common sense, which seems to be in short supply.
unfortunately even if it comes form the top its probably bullshit. 2 weeks ago we were being told not to wear masks and this week its recommended we do so. IMO there is a bunch of people trying to cover their asses and no one really knows wtf is going on as you alluded to. stay safe fellas.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie951 View Post
please quit spreading misinformation.. Yahoo news? Really credible source there..
Where's that fricken "like" button!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:21 AM   #12
jruiz
Large Member

Independent of the source, the article is not very well put together. It is fair to ask, how did she pull this out of her ass? Here is her CV if you want to take the time to review her credentials and past research.

https://caice.ucsd.edu/wp-content/up...er-CV_2019.pdf

It turns out shes been studying this phenomenon as far back as 2018. The article below describes a particular experiment where they concluded that fatty/waxy membranes of bacteria and viruses is what helped them come to the surface of the water and aerosolize.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...rature/564092/

The publication below describes the technique she used to detect microbes in aerosolized sea water.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021...alchem.7b00933

And if you're still in doubt, here's a "reliable" source

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virus-exp...id-coronavirus

Do your own fact finding then decide for yourself what you want to believe. Go beyond one source and really look at the data.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #13
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
unfortunately even if it comes form the top its probably bullshit. 2 weeks ago we were being told not to wear masks and this week its recommended we do so. IMO there is a bunch of people trying to cover their asses and no one really knows wtf is going on as you alluded to. stay safe fellas.
+1
Old 04-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
Independent of the source, the article is not very well put together. It is fair to ask, how did she pull this out of her ass? Here is her CV if you want to take the time to review her credentials and past research.

https://caice.ucsd.edu/wp-content/up...er-CV_2019.pdf

It turns out shes been studying this phenomenon as far back as 2018. The article below describes a particular experiment where they concluded that fatty/waxy membranes of bacteria and viruses is what helped them come to the surface of the water and aerosolize.
Looks qualified to me. I can't completely make sense of the method used, and I would leave the validity to her fellow scientists to support the approach.

However, one thing has always been clear to me in all studies regarding viruses and microorganisms is the parts per million, billion or trillion in the water/medium. Higher concentrations provide a higher dose and will be more harmful. Another factor that has been consistent is the persons ability to fight it off. There are many people of all ages with issues fighting off specific or random diseases.

Her line of thinking portrays it as dangerous to be in the ocean at all. I have no idea if a virus can or cannot be diluted by ocean water. If viruses don't become destroyed or diluted in salt water or other environmental variables then we are screwed and should just look for a future with apes or zombies ruling the planet!

I agree especially after a rain, something that has been shared by the public health scientists for years. If I surfed I would not get in the water for at least 72 hours after a rain. I would not surf where the sewer lets out ever.
As it stands, I wear waders, and try to avoid prolonged water contact when on the water in Malibu anyway. I also pay attention to water quality reports. (http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc...ach_grades.cfm)

It will be interesting to follow how the environmental scientists respond critically to the position or if any surfers turn out to have caught the virus through the community (surfing counts) or travel.

Ventura County is investigating and reporting # of Confirmed Cases, Travel Related (10), Person-to-person acquired (46), Community acquired (98), and under investigation (72) with the current total of 226. https://www.vcemergency.com/

All that being said, she makes more sense than the current White House administration and thanks for the research.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
fishnfoool

Relax people. You can only die once.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #16
govomit

Ok that's it, this is the final straw! No more risking my life close to this poisonous soup!

Going in the Sierras for clean streams and farmed trout. Or just to Vons...
Safety FIRST.
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #17
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
Relax people. You can only die once.
"YODO"
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #18
TheBentRod

NEJM - New England Journal of Medicine

Actual study on Covid-19 and it’s viability on various surfaces and aerosolized.

Aerosol and Surface Stability of SARS-CoV-2 as Compared with SARS-CoV-1

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMc2004973
Old 04-10-2020, 09:10 AM   #19
jbl_91762

If there were any concerns, there have been hundreds of surfers in the water and NOT ONE has been reported to have gotten sick. Just saying.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
If there were any concerns, there have been hundreds of surfers in the water and NOT ONE has been reported to have gotten sick. Just saying.
You're still probably a thousand times more likely to get a staph infection while surfing than COVID. I guess this study shows it is POSSIBLE for the disease to survive at the surface in these conditions. But the probability of it happening has to be astronomically low. I mean, if someone with COVID hacks up a lung-nugget into a gutter that drains to a local surf break and it winds up in the lip of a wave as I'm going over the falls and get a nosefull of contaminated whitewater, then yeah, I probably now have COVID.

My takeaway is that the virus survives better outside our respiratory systems in wet environments. The air at the beach has more moisture. If someone with COVID is at the beach and you're standing downwind of them, the virus will probably travel much more than the recommended 6 feet. Same reason the virus spread so well in the wet markets in China I imagine. Whether I can get it on the water or not, I'm still gonna be extra cautious and not take unnecessary risks.

COVID DON'T SURF
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote