Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-22-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
BenCantrell

Saturday 6/20 Pt Loma report

It got windy out there! Caught 9 calico and 4 jack mackerel in the morning, spent the rest of the day fighting the wind to making it back to the jetty.

https://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com...continues.html

BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
blitzburgh

Nice work! That’s a helluva hike
Old 06-23-2020, 05:14 AM   #3
kirkdavis

I think I saw you.
I launched from Dana landing and only made it down to the end of Sunset Cliffs, but you are right about fighting the wind on the way back. Then fighting the tide both ways in the Bay made for a good workout.
It was slow for me but I did end up with my PB ling cod! 30 inches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:54 AM   #4
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I think I saw you.
I launched from Dana landing and only made it down to the end of Sunset Cliffs, but you are right about fighting the wind on the way back. Then fighting the tide both ways in the Bay made for a good workout.
It was slow for me but I did end up with my PB ling cod! 30 inches!
Oh nice! Congrats on the lingcod. Were you to the north of me about a half mile at 1pm? I think I saw you too, and I was impressed with the pace you were going.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:57 AM   #5
Harry Hill

How was it getting back into Mission Bay? I got caught in the mouth once and had to battle a hard outgoing tide to get back in, I wasn't even sure I was making any headway for awhile. there were huge swells at the entrance to the harbor
Old 06-23-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
How was it getting back into Mission Bay? I got caught in the mouth once and had to battle a hard outgoing tide to get back in, I wasn't even sure I was making any headway for awhile. there were huge swells at the entrance to the harbor
I didn't have any issues this time, but my head is always on a swivel when I come in the entrance. It can get pretty gnarly with the ocean swells meeting the outgoing tide plus the reflected waves off the jetties plus the boat wakes. And some of those boats are hauling ass. I stash all my gear and leash my rods the same as if I'm coming in for a surf landing.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
I didn't have any issues this time, but my head is always on a swivel when I come in the entrance. It can get pretty gnarly with the ocean swells meeting the outgoing tide plus the reflected waves off the jetties plus the boat wakes. And some of those boats are hauling ass. I stash all my gear and leash my rods the same as if I'm coming in for a surf landing.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if I was the only one with tight pucker strings when I hit that mix of swells and outgoing tide. For awhile I did not think I was going to make it back into the bay. I had to start checking landmarks to see if I was making headway.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
kirkdavis

Yup

The first 100 yards at the mouth can be pretty hairy for sure, and the tide can be hard to fight. Over the 5 years I have been yakkin, I had my first yard sale (excluding LJ) there about a month ago. I was coming in against the tide and had picked up the habit of hugging the rocks where the current isn't as bad. In addition, you can surf on the swells coming in. When I take newbys out I tell them to stay away from the rocks, but....I'm an old salt, right?
Suddenly I lost steering on my outback and spun around right into the rocks. I got my paddle out to push off of the rocks, but before I could do it, the next swell came in and flipped my yak. Lost some gear and hurt the heck out of my pride, but I was asking for it. Turns out the down rudder rope slipped out of the holder...something that rarely happens, and it happened at a really bad time.
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
BenCantrell

Surfing down those huge swells at the mouth is the scariest thing I've done in a kayak.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Quote:
The first 100 yards at the mouth can be pretty hairy for sure, and the tide can be hard to fight. Over the 5 years I have been yakkin, I had my first yard sale (excluding LJ) there about a month ago. I was coming in against the tide and had picked up the habit of hugging the rocks where the current isn't as bad. In addition, you can surf on the swells coming in. When I take newbys out I tell them to stay away from the rocks, but....I'm an old salt, right?
Suddenly I lost steering on my outback and spun around right into the rocks. I got my paddle out to push off of the rocks, but before I could do it, the next swell came in and flipped my yak. Lost some gear and hurt the heck out of my pride, but I was asking for it. Turns out the down rudder rope slipped out of the holder...something that rarely happens, and it happened at a really bad time.
things only break when you really, really need them, I need to learn how to handle that entrance
Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 AM   #11
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:

I'll tell you another story sometime, .... ahem.

On a more positive thought, I've often wondered about diving in that area on a calm morning to see what treasures might still be laying on the bottom. It can be wild venturi and vortex effects when the tide change is fast and steep, so maybe Davy Jones Treasures suck-scatter hither and thither.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:52 AM   #12
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
I'll tell you another story sometime, .... ahem.

On a more positive thought, I've often wondered about diving in that area on a calm morning to see what treasures might still be laying on the bottom. It can be wild venturi and vortex effects when the tide change is fast and steep, so maybe Davy Jones Treasures suck-scatter hither and thither.
The worst part of my adventure was while I was paddling for my life the Chewbaca Two came bearing down on me forcing me to alter my course and as they went by everyone on deck was standing at the rail flipping me off. I was already close to the rocks and he forced me right up to the rocks. Some Captains are real jerks and use their big boat to bully small boats.