Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 01-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
Salty

DP 1/25/20

Fun day at DP on Saturday. Did the usual run from the harbor around the point and up to Salt Creek. Winds and chop were minimal most of the day, but the swells were pretty big. Salt Creek surf forecast was calling 6-8'. Made it interesting finding the kelp. The strong surges had the kelp pinned horizontal underwater which caused lots of snags throughout the morning. Had the best luck around the buoy earlier in the morning with a few decent sand bass and ANOTHER freakin' mantis shrimp! All fish released, although the first bass was a little stunned and required a bit of nursing back to consciousness before bolting back to the bottom. Also made a friend with a local sea lion. Basically once the fog cleared out and things warmed up a bit, it was a super nice day on the water! Pics below.
Attached Images

Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #2
Snags

Thanks for the report. It's been a while since I've been to Dana Point. It's a great place to fish and explore even though its always been pretty hit or miss for me.

Maybe this week if the weather cooperates.

Just curious, how does the passport handle the swell and chop? Don't know if I'll ever give up the paddle but the price seems reasonable and it's lighter than most Hobies.

Cheers, Steve
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snags View Post
Thanks for the report. It's been a while since I've been to Dana Point. It's a great place to fish and explore even though its always been pretty hit or miss for me.

Maybe this week if the weather cooperates.

Just curious, how does the passport handle the swell and chop? Don't know if I'll ever give up the paddle but the price seems reasonable and it's lighter than most Hobies.

Cheers, Steve
Hey Steve! For the price, this is a great kayak. It handles the swell and chop really well. On Saturday, the swells were very big and a few times there was some boat wake rolling through at the same time a swell peaked and not once did I fee like I was going to roll. Every time I've been out since I got it, I've had the wind to my face for a big chunk of the way back with decent chop and crossed-up wake and refraction off the breakwater and I've always gotten back to the harbor nice and dry. I've never been on a bigger, wider kayak like an Outback or something in those conditions, but as far as I'm concerned this thing handles it no problem. I'd be curious to see what changes happens once I add my fishfinder/batter and eventually a full bait tank to it. Curious if the added weight will have me sitting much lower or at a weird angle or something. I'll definitely report back on that if it happens!
I will say if you are really looking to paddle it mostly instead of using peddles, it's a bit awkward to paddle since there really isn't anywhere to put your feet to brace yourself when the pedals are removed. Haven't done that very much and I haven't done a true beach launch yet, so maybe it'll just take some getting used to. That said, after using the peddles while fishing, I don't think I could ever go back to using just a paddle! It's just too damn convenient! Call me spoiled, I don't care lol
Old 01-28-2020, 12:14 AM   #4
tak100
Recruit

What's the secret for the shrimp?

That is so random.

Thanks for the report!
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
What's the secret for the shrimp?

That is so random.

Thanks for the report!
I know, right?? The worst part is, I know if I WANTED to catch one, it would never take the bait lol. Basically I'm using a 3/8oz red tube bait with a squirt of red "crab juice." About 100-200 yards NW of the red buoy off the point, I send it to the bottom once I find the drift. I'll jig it off the bottom a few times, then crank up and drop again. Both times I've caught these mantis it was soon as the lure hit the bottom when I felt the slightest tugging. I thought I caught a sardine the first time. The second time as soon as I felt the same tugging, I was like "........you gotta be F***ing kidding me...."
Old 01-28-2020, 06:27 PM   #6
PapaDave

Nice Sandie
Old 01-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Nice Sandie
Thanks! Got a few that were a little smaller. This one was just the most photo-worthy of the day!
Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #8
Snags

Thanks for the low down an your kayak and nice Sandy.
Snags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #9
SoCalEDC

Nice sandy, cool shrimp. These photos are making me want to get out there
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #10
Tigermidge

i dare you to kiss the shrimp!
LOL
Mark
Tigermidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigermidge View Post
i dare you to kiss the shrimp!
LOL
Mark
HA! I prefer to keep my lips attached to my face, thanks!