Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
packeryakker

New seat trouble

I recently pulled the trigger on a new gts expedition seat for my outback. The stock outback seat was well worn and beginning to get very uncomfortable. Giddy with excitment I got out with my new seat a few weeks ago and was not impressed. What initially seemed like a super comfortable upgrade was cumbersome and uncomfortable. After a little reworking of the straps it was a little better. The problem seems to be that without the posts the hobie seat had to hold it in place the new seat tends to slide forward which pulls the back down. Additionally the attachment points are giving me some trouble. I know I need to add a couple new rings or eyes to the hull, I'm just not sure where would be the best location(s). I went camping at Refugio and Leo Carillo over the last couple weeks and got the yak and seat in the water to try out some new ideas. I got "industrial strength" velcro and attatched to the yak where the seat goes and then the matching piece was stuck to the seat. Seemed great on land, lasted 5 minutes in the water. Fishing was slow. Next attempt: super glue velcro to the seat as the pieces on the yak seemed to be fine. Seemed great on land, lasted 15 minutes on water. Fishing was a little better. So, please, some advice on how to attach this seat, where to put new attachment points and what materials and adhesive will work the best. Thanks! Hitting up Gaviota for some camping next week and would like to have the seat ready to go.
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeryakker View Post
I recently pulled the trigger on a new gts expedition seat for my outback. The stock outback seat was well worn and beginning to get very uncomfortable. Giddy with excitment I got out with my new seat a few weeks ago and was not impressed. What initially seemed like a super comfortable upgrade was cumbersome and uncomfortable. After a little reworking of the straps it was a little better. The problem seems to be that without the posts the hobie seat had to hold it in place the new seat tends to slide forward which pulls the back down. Additionally the attachment points are giving me some trouble. I know I need to add a couple new rings or eyes to the hull, I'm just not sure where would be the best location(s). I went camping at Refugio and Leo Carillo over the last couple weeks and got the yak and seat in the water to try out some new ideas. I got "industrial strength" velcro and attatched to the yak where the seat goes and then the matching piece was stuck to the seat. Seemed great on land, lasted 5 minutes in the water. Fishing was slow. Next attempt: super glue velcro to the seat as the pieces on the yak seemed to be fine. Seemed great on land, lasted 15 minutes on water. Fishing was a little better. So, please, some advice on how to attach this seat, where to put new attachment points and what materials and adhesive will work the best. Thanks! Hitting up Gaviota for some camping next week and would like to have the seat ready to go.
Can't you put the post into the new seat? I think some sewing is to take place.

I think Roby had a post where he modded his seat somewhere ( let me look...)

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...e+seat+upgrade

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...e+seat+upgrade

I would just make some holes on the seat somewhere to insert the plugs, and seal it/sew it/ burn it closed.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 06-11-2014 at 07:47 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
packeryakker

I did see that Hobie makes replacement posts for the seat. I wonder if I could take them out of my old seat and put them in the new one?
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by packeryakker View Post
I did see that Hobie makes replacement posts for the seat. I wonder if I could take them out of my old seat and put them in the new one?
I just bought a couple replacement seat post sets from Andy @ SSB and matched up the mounting holes with the original seat. The only B!Tc# about the install was lining up the replacement holes with the hinge post & trying to stiffen up.
I bought 2 of the Seairsports seats from the group buy a couple years ago. I don't know if there's much of a difference.
Save some extra webbing (soaked in crazy glue dried for stiffness) to take up the extra room to make the post tight & vertical. Works just like the HOBIE standard seat!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote