Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
skrilla

hauling 2 kayaks rooftop?

Anyone hauling 2 kayaks rooftop? I might add a 2nd one to the arsenal this summer and looking at ways to get both up there. I drive a 3rd gen 4Runner and currently use the 33" wide OEM rack and straps. Any input, tips, tricks anyone could share?
Old 04-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Here's 3 on top...

It all depends on what make of kayak you're haulin'... here's a Revo, an Outfitter and a Torque all on an '87 Pathfinder. The racks are Yakima with Mako saddles in the middle and 2 Yakima Hull Raisers on the sides:
DSC00374.jpg
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
Hogstir

I used to stack 2 Mini X kayaks on top of each other on my jeep. Just depends on the kayaks.
Hogstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
packeryakker

My brother and I double deck our yaks all the time. He has a PA 12 and I peddle an outback. his goes on first keel down and mine goes on top keel up. Each are strapped down individually to the rack. We drive 180-250 miles round trip depending on where we go and have never had a problem. If I can find a pic I will post one up.

I drive a Suburban and he drives a wrangler we have done it on both, carrying the yaks I mean.
packeryakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
FishNinjaY

I carry a Hobie Oasis Tandem (14.5Ft), and a Malibu Mini-X on my roof rack, side-by-side. It's a bit wide on my Honda Accord roof, but it works fine. I have the Hully-Roller and Mako saddles for the long Hobie. For the mini-X, I just have the Yakima Landshark saddles since the mini-X is light enough to just toss up there. I'll post a pic later, since it's already dark outside.

BUT.. for my year Honda Accord, I'm supposed to use a 48" crossbar, but mine are 55", so it works for me.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
jorluivil

You can load one right side up and put the second one upside down on top of the one that's right side up, right?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
boxturtle

i think the trick is having at least one j style rack cradles
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
Siebler

Dont risk having a possible insecure load. Go with a Thule Hullaport Pro or a Stacker. The cost of this is worth it in the ease of use and the security in knowing your not going to be replacing a kayak or somebodys car or even killing somebody just because you tried to avoid spending a little money to do it right.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Dont risk having a possible insecure load. Go with a Thule Hullaport Pro or a Stacker. The cost of this is worth it in the ease of use and the security in knowing your not going to be replacing a kayak or somebodys car or even killing somebody just because you tried to avoid spending a little money to do it right.
Agree.. I guess the J carriers or putting them on the side are probably safe. For some reason, I worry about them getting bent or dented or moving more in the J racks. I just feel like they are more secure flat on their hulls, on some type of saddle. That's mainly why I like having mine side-by-side. And, on my sedan, it seems easier for me to strap them down since it's not so high. YMMV..
Old 04-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
mralbacore
Bamboo Pole Fisherman

Try this... lol

http://www.mansmanbuyguide.com/2012/...lo-tandem.html
mralbacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
DITTO!!
Or you better have lots of liability insurance!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #12
ctfphoto

I use a Thule Stacker, It works great.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #13
skrilla

Thanks for the replies and the pic does help some.

Any pros and cons on J style vs. stacker setup?
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
I carry a Hobie Oasis Tandem (14.5Ft), and a Malibu Mini-X on my roof rack, side-by-side. It's a bit wide on my Honda Accord roof, but it works fine. I have the Hully-Roller and Mako saddles for the long Hobie. For the mini-X, I just have the Yakima Landshark saddles since the mini-X is light enough to just toss up there. I'll post a pic later, since it's already dark outside.

BUT.. for my year Honda Accord, I'm supposed to use a 48" crossbar, but mine are 55", so it works for me.
Here's my roof.. if anyone's interested, I can snap a pic of it fully loaded next time I take both yaks out.. but you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rack1.jpg (80.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg rack2.jpg (73.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #15
boxturtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Agree.. I guess the J carriers or putting them on the side are probably safe. For some reason, I worry about them getting bent or dented or moving more in the J racks. I just feel like they are more secure flat on their hulls, on some type of saddle. That's mainly why I like having mine side-by-side. And, on my sedan, it seems easier for me to strap them down since it's not so high. YMMV..
like any rack don't over tighten the ties...if you see a dimple then it's too tight. I always use a stern and bow tie down. The only thing about the j carriers is the loading and loading. I would put lighter of the two kayak in the j cradle. I know the new ones folds down making the job a bit easier.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote