Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Nic D

Help w/ Lowrance

Ok Lowrance owners, Im trying to determine if the insight maps are worth the extra $250 or not. The base model HDS7 is selling for $999 right now with a $200 rebate and the Insight models are $1249 with the same $200 rebate.

Can you shed any light at all? are the maps that much better? Thanks in advance.

Nic

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Save your money and get the Navionics Fish N Chip. Much better detail.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
GregAndrew

Check out Google shopping for better prices than that. I saw it for under $900 w/ the $200 rebate on top at several sites. Just make sure you are not looking at the ones w/o transducers, or letters after HDS7. You can also take a printed version of their advertised price to Wes Marine for a price match for a quick purchase but you will pay tax.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
RK

Gregs spot on....

the insight licks balls.

havnt used the fish in chip but the insight is garbage. and some members had great sucess getting free chips and remedies for missing info but after getting absolutely nowhere with WM and Lowrance I gave up..

Do the WM price match and make sure to get the plus plan.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #5
roby
CEO of Team Roby

The link below is the best price I found for the "Fish n Chip." It was a bit cheaper for me with some Black Friday coupons.

http://www.boatersland.com/nvnfish-w.html
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
steveoh

Yes, WM price matched for my HDS5 and I called about the fish n chip and got mine in the mail a week later...WM took care of the Insight issue where Lowrance gave me the run around.
steveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
TCS

I have an HDS 5 Nautic Insight. I think the charts would be fine if it didn't have that big blank spot over LJ. Ended up getting a deal on a Fish & Chip. Greg is right that the fish $ chip has way more detail than the Nautic Insight charts. I would get the base model with GPS and get the Fish & Chip.

At the risk of a thread jack.... I have a couple of Lowrance Qs of my own...
Are you guys using noise reduction out at LJ?
What % colorline?
Auto sensitivity?
Other settings that matter?

Thanks, Tom
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
TCS

One more thing. Go to West Marine for sure. I have had a few issues and they have gone above and beyond. Get the plus plan.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
GregAndrew

Tom:
Noise reduction only if you are experiencing interference from your other electronics. Turn your sensitivity up until most of the screen is full, then back off 4-10 notches. Auto sensitivity is good until you have a lot of time on your hands to fiddle with your unit. Set the color palette to the selection that your eye picks up the "Hard" colors best. Colorline will be something near what the auto setting is (too high or low and you will not see differences in color for hard and soft returns). Surface clarity - Off. And select the transducer you are using from the settings.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #10
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS View Post
One more thing. Go to West Marine for sure. I have had a few issues and they have gone above and beyond. Get the plus plan.
I stopped by WM on Rosecrans near shelter Island looking at the HDS - 5 units but they were not very helpful? So you guys would suggest getting the base unit HDS - 5 with transducer and the fish n chip, correct?
Thanks.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:18 AM   #11
TCS

Get the one with GPS.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
Nic D

thanks for all of your help. Im going to pass on the insight and get the fish n chip

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
fyi: Ebay has HDS-7 for $859 w/free shipping. Just sent e-mail to check if it's the new 2012 Gen 2 model. Looks like it is. In case your interested here's the link;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130593673347
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote