Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-26-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
619-SWIM-DOG

SCI 2 day trip

Went on the SCI trip onboard the "Islander" this past weekend. Fun time, I targeted sheepshead the first day and caught about 15 (kept 4). Next day we fished the south area of the island. I launched and it took about 5 min when I hooked up. Had a nice fight and landed a 24lb YT. The wind picked up and made the rest of the day tuff, but that's part of it. The trip was great and it's always nice meeting others who share the love of kayak fishing. This was my last time out on my Kayak in Southern Cali. Moving to Texas in a couple weeks and won't have time to get out. Great way to end my tour here in SD. Tight Lines
Attached Images

619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #2
FullFlavorPike

tanker goats on the flat fall. nice. looks like fun out there
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
FISH11

Congrats! I had a blast, when I went last year. Great memories.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Nice. Those Islander trips are always good. Way to make the best out of it.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
carbonbass

Nice trip! Were other yellows caught as well? I am also thinking about moving to Texas when I get married at the end of August. California is just too expensive, but why not save the yak for some gulf bay adventures? There are some fun exotic stuff to catch there as well, and great lake type fishing throughout.
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #6
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
...why not save the yak for some gulf bay adventures?
I have to comment of this and echo the question.

When I moved here from AZ, I sold EVERYTHING I owned. I made the erroneous assumption that I 1) needed a completely different type of boat (I now paddle the exact same model) and 2) needed different kind of gear (I fish fresh water bass type gear 90% of the time in the salt.) Boy was I wrong and holy hell have I spent a lot of cash repurchasing stuff that I already had.

Now, I also needed the $$ for the move, so by all means my decision needed to be made and if you are in the same position as I was I totally understand, but in retrospect I probably should have just held out and kept at least some of my gear and probably my boat. It would have been a lot easier in the end.

My .02. Thanks for your service and good luck in TX!

Last edited by goldenglory18; 06-27-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: spelling
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
ratdog

Thank you for your service, if you are anywhere near Corpus there's outstanding redfish fishing there. Bring plenty of bug spray! Good Luck
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
I have to comment of this and echo the question.

When I moved here from AZ, I sold EVERYTHING I owned. I made the erroneous assumption that I 1) needed a completely different type of boat (I now paddle the exact same model) and 2) needed different kind of gear (I fish fresh water bass type gear 90% of the time in the salt.) Boy was I wrong and holy hell have I spent a lot of cash repurchasing stuff that I already had.

Now, I also needed the $$ for the move, so by all means my decision needed to be made and if you are in the same position as I was I totally understand, but in retrospect I probably should have just held out and kept at least some of my gear and probably my boat. It would have been a lot easier in the end.

My .02. Thanks for your service and good luck in TX!
I never stated I was getting rid of my yak. Just won't be able to go
Out again before I move.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

Curious, do they provide live bait on those trips ? What won the jackpot ? Total fish count for the boat on exotics ?
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #10
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Curious, do they provide live bait on those trips ? What won the jackpot ? Total fish count for the boat on exotics ?
The boat supplies bait and we made squid at night. I don't have a fish count for the boat as some people just bass fish and don't keep or count. I ended up keeping 1 YT 2 rockfish and 4 sheepshead. The jackpot was $10 a day 20 guys. Friday's winner was a 20lb YT and Sunday's was a 26lb YT that someone caught from the boat. I would have won with my 24lb YT from the yak but the Captain counted the boat fish.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:35 PM   #11
Denis_Ruso

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
The boat supplies bait and we made squid at night. I don't have a fish count for the boat as some people just bass fish and don't keep or count. I ended up keeping 1 YT 2 rockfish and 4 sheepshead. The jackpot was $10 a day 20 guys. Friday's winner was a 20lb YT and Sunday's was a 26lb YT that someone caught from the boat. I would have won with my 24lb YT from the yak but the Captain counted the boat fish.
I was under the impression that fish caught from the boat were not eligible for Jackpot. At least that's how we did it the trip the weekend before. Its a kayak trip...

Also awesome you guys got the yellows to bite. We would see them swim right by us and couldn't get them to go.

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
619-SWIM-DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I was under the impression that fish caught from the boat were not eligible for Jackpot. At least that's how we did it the trip the weekend before. Its a kayak trip...

Also awesome you guys got the yellows to bite. We would see them swim right by us and couldn't get them to go.
You would think that, but Captains call.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619-SWIM-DOG View Post
You would think that, but Captains call.
Seems like a no brainer -- kayak trip, only kayak fish count. Shame there was nothing in writing. Sorry to hear you got cheated out of JP. Thanks for the report.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #14
Rav3n805

nice tail, awesome shot
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote