Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Papasledge
Junior

Help picking yak #2

I already have a PA and love it. My wife is now getting interested in kayaking and would like a mirage drive. The second half of the problem is my knees are started to show signs of wear after a day on the PA.

Since I really dont know how often she will actually want to go I would rather let her use the PA. Her time on the water will always be on freshwater and I know she will stay upright on the PA.

With that in mine I would like my next yak to be a paddle type. I alreay asked about the WS 135 ride but after talking to a dealer he said it would handle like the PA launching and coming in from surf. I havnt tried it yet.
He suggested a Tarpon 140. I figure theres nobody better to ask then a bunch of real yak fisherman.

Shes pretty excited about yakking so I need to move on this while I have the chance any help would be great.
Papasledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Yakin

I went small and got my wife a mini X and so far is has treated both of us well when she wants to use my PA
Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #3
Drake

The tarpon 140 is A LOT of boat. 14' is huge. How long have you had the PA? Knee problems shouldn't be an issue peddling the mirage drive. Especially on the PA, you can change how you sit to alter the muscle groups in your legs used to peddle. When my quads get tired, I slouch back and begin using my hamstrings combined with pushing off my back to change completely how I push the peddles. I don't know what prior knee problems you have, but a really good stretch routine can help relieve some discomfort.

Ask yourself if you REALLY need 14' of kayak, or even 13.5 with the ride. WS just put out the ride 115, which to me is plenty of boat for fishing anywhere on the west coast. I've been out here with a S12, a Tarpon 120 and now a PA and to be completely honest, the PA is slight overkill. The only reason I got it was because it was a great deal, I'm a taller guy and like to sight cast standing up so stability was key. You're not standing on a tarpon 140. It's just not designed like that.

The bigger the boat the bigger the hull, and surface area. Current, wind, swells and waves will have more impact and you. I haven't looked into it, but if I were a betting man I would bet the Ride 115 is more stable than the T140. Look it over.
Good luck
Old 04-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #4
paintnfish

From the PA to a 140 and the 140 is huge ???
One word... testdrive

Im sure there will be mornings you look over
at the PA and grab the 140 with out any hesitation.

You should take a close look at the X 13 as well.
paintnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #5
Mr. Adventure
Damn Hippy

Second on the x13 if you're not a big guy. It handles the surf great
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintnfish View Post
From the PA to a 140 and the 140 is huge ???
One word... testdrive

Im sure there will be mornings you look over
at the PA and grab the 140 with out any hesitation.

You should take a close look at the X 13 as well.
The Tarpon is 4 inches longer and only weights 20lbs less with 1/2 the maximum load weight.

The ride 115 is 11'5" and has the same maximum load as a PA, with similar stability to a PA, better set up for surf, it's wider by 5inches which is great when you need to put hoops on board, has a flat bottom hull and is a more manageable boat due to its size. I'm actually thinking about getting a Ride 115 for when my friends come in from out of town the more I look at it.

The PA is more set up to be a longer boat, with the bow and stern handle bars and the side rails, it becomes a more manageable boat even with the added weight. I prefer moving my PA around over my stealth 12 for so many reasons.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
Papasledge
Junior

Drake to you shore launch your PA and how is it coming back in.....
Papasledge is offline   Reply With Quote