Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
Kailolo

Revo--Transducer Location?

For a Hobie Revo:
A common mounting spot seems is between the sail mast holder and the pedals. But this seems too close to the pedals, such that the pedals wouls enter the sonar cone or the DI sonar signal? Directly under the center hatch would interfere with good storage and face turbulence from the pedals. Comments?
Kailolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
GregAndrew

Not sure what the distance between the spot you mention and the fins is, but even the wide cone is no more than a little over 1 to 1. So say your fins stick down 16 inches, you would need your Xducer to be that far away to avoid seeing them. The typical narrow beam (200khz) cone angle is between 12 and 20 degrees, and the wide beam (50 or 83khz) is 45 and 60 degrees. At 60 degrees I believe the ratio is about 1.1 to 1 (you see 1.1 feet over for every 1 foot down).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
dorado50

Just locate it under the seat. Easy access and out of the way!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
Regor
Greg

I have read posts elsewhere that have mounted and documented the results of transducer installs behind and forward of the pedals.

Results concluded - rear of the pedals near the seat produced a lot of interference.

Mine is forward near the mast and it works great. Also makes a nice place to bundle all the wires, and zip tie the battery when heading out.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
GregAndrew

I misspoke. The ratio is about 1.1 to one, but you obviously only have to be 1/2 of that distance away because the other half is in the opposite direction.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Kaijuu
"Floater"

transducer location

I have both the Outback and the Revo. Both my transducers are located between the mast and peddle system. I have no interference on either yak.
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote