Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Amish Ed

The Pipe, 12-17-13

Launched at about 6:15 from the ramp and headed right for the Pipe. It was a gorgeous sunrise to paddle into. No wind inside the harbor, not much just outside, lots out on the Pipe. Water was 59.3º and very clear outside. Slight uphill current.

The strong offshore made for lots of paddling and some funky drifts over the Pipe. For the first hour it kept shifting direction just enough be a royal pain. I'd setup on the downhill side, the wind would blow me downhill. I'd setup on the uphill side, the wind would blow me uphill. Hard to hit the Pipe when you aren't over it. I was fishing a 1.5oz head and rarely finding the Pipe for the first hour or so. The 5 times I hit the Pipe I was slammed and missed it, got broken off by a nice one, plus got 3 nice sized calicoes. About 7:30 Landwhale and the Iceman arrived and the wind settled into a steady direction. Setup downhill, get blown uphill. About 8:45 the wind slowly started to back off and by around 9:30 it was dead calm.

Only threw the 4" and 3" Flurry today. Fire Avocado was getting bit every cast until I lost my only one. Knew I should've restocked the box. Took a while to find another color they wanted, but eventually ended up with Minnow Magic getting bit a lot. Hot Sauce used for flavor of course.

I had to head in earlier than I wanted (around 11). I finished with 5 legals (biggest about 3.5lbs) and 6 shorts. Not a great haul, but better than a sharp stick in the eye. If it was an average day for this year it was definitely not as good as 2yrs ago, but better than last year.

Good hanging with Steve as always and good to see Andy too.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Sounds like a nice day out there Ed. I think I accidentally found "the pipe" about 5 or 6 weeks ago when I paddled out to some lobster buoys all lined up offshore. I ended up catching a lot of spunky bait out there and a few nice bites as well. I don't have GPS to find it again, but I got the general area and know what to look for on the FF now. I'm looking forward to fishing the area again after the holidays.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Amish Ed

I was definitely nice out there. I have a new (to me) FF and the Pipe wasn't on it. Had a heck of a time pinpointing it at first. The FF settings were all goofy and the bottom reading kept jumping 5-10'. Got it figured out though. If you ever want to fish it on a Monday or Tuesday let me know.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'll probably have a hard time pinpointing it again once the lobster buoys are gone. Maybe I could make up my own marker buoy for temporary use while I'm out there to judge my drift and just have a visual? I should just probably buy a FF/GPS and be done with it, although those buoys sure made things easy.

Anyways I wish I could fish Mon/Tue but I'm a M-F working man so weekday fishing is going to have to wait a few decades
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
MrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
I'll probably have a hard time pinpointing it again once the lobster buoys are gone. Maybe I could make up my own marker buoy for temporary use while I'm out there to judge my drift and just have a visual? I should just probably buy a FF/GPS and be done with it, although those buoys sure made things easy.

Anyways I wish I could fish Mon/Tue but I'm a M-F working man so weekday fishing is going to have to wait a few decades
What kind of phone do you have? If you have an iPhone, Navionics might serve you pretty well. It's only $10 or so, has a great deal of information and lots of uses. Not sure if they make it for Android/Windows Phone or not.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
blitzburgh

Thanks for the report Ed
Old 12-19-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanw View Post
... Maybe I could make up my own marker buoy for temporary use while I'm out there to judge my drift and just have a visual?...
That's a good idea. Even if you do have a FF/GPS, Looking down at your screen can get old after circling back a bunch of times over a rock pile. Having a couple of markers to line up your next drift with would make it alot easier especially if your fishing with someone without a FF.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
That's a good idea. Even if you do have a FF/GPS, Looking down at your screen can get old after circling back a bunch of times over a rock pile. Having a couple of markers to line up your next drift with would make it alot easier especially if your fishing with someone without a FF.
I've thought about doing the same thing. When the traps aren't there it definitely gets old looking at the FF all the time.