Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

San Onofre

been going to SO beach this week since its right outside the gate. looks pretty fishy. anyways. came across this guy washed up. they're makin it down to SD.

lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Been thinking about hitting the base to see if there is a beach area. Any idea lowpro?
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

San Onofre. get off on basilone road and take it to a small entrance that says "camp pendleton beach access) then turn before the camp ground to Surf beach. seem the waves on the north and south side are large but towards the middle break further out and are smaller. id even attempt a launch there.
otherwise, im not sure. i haven't explored the other side of base yet or the access to O'side.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
fishsouthcounty

growing up in DP and surfing trestles churches and all of sano i can tell you on a small swell its probably not that bad. Seems most of the surf in between which is restricted to pedestrian access is more shorebreak from what i remember seeing. Driving down the 5 once you get past the checkpoint and past the steep cliffs there is pendleton land that never seems to have to big of surf that breaks outside and could be a pretty good launch point if you have access. Donno what the fishing would be like. I know there is kelp outside so its probably got a similar bass bite to the san mateo kelp along with some good halibut as well i would imagine.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Kahouna

Hey lowpro, me and a buddy did the san o a few weeks ago. Tangled with something short term before it cut the line. A few kelp bass. We sure do watch the waves and plan accordingly. It is busy down there, but I think anything three or less is doable if you let your stones grow a little. Different breaks and launch/landing options based on tide.

You living up that way?
Kahouna is offline   Reply With Quote