Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
tomahawk

how to put 2 kayaks on roof

I have a stealth 12 and stealth 14 I want to transport the roof of a C1500 with a shell. The shell has roof rails and I have 60 inch yakima bars with lowriders. The bars attach fine to the shell. The combined kayak width is slightly greater than bars. I the yaks on the roof yesterday and was playing around with pvc cradles. I was hoping someone else had done this so i wouldn't have re-invent something. i looked yakima's solutions and would interested in user comments on how they fit with the malibu hull (hull seems pretty flat compared to saddle angles).
thanks,
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Dave k

Check out the Malone saddles.

It's basically a V that mounts in the middle, so you can have part of the yak hanging over the bars on the side is needed. I was able to haul 2 on a Mazda with crossbars that I believe we're something like 54".

Good luck.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
chxh8me

You can go with a stacker too. Pretty much all the rack companies make them. I went with the Inno stacker (INA 450), based on price and what comes with it; Padded vertical bars and padded cradles.

I originally tried going with extra long cross bars and two sets of yakima saddles, but felt like the 65 inch bars would have taken someone's eye out due to how far they stuck out.

So now I have the stacker for when I need to transport 2, or one set of saddles for when it's just me going out.
chxh8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
CheapPelican

I have 48" bars and use J cradles. Might be a pain to lift them that high on to a full size truck.

Do this hack. Makes it much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbx3 View Post
So I was getting tired of having my cradles rotate everytime I hit with my kayak. The Yakima bars are round and no matter how much I tighten them the alwys end up like this.

So I figured there has to be a way to keep them straight so over to Home Depot I went and $8 later here's the finished solution.

I took a couple of 3/4" electrical conduit, cut it to the correct size, drilled a couple of holes in each end to line them up with the J cradles, flattened out the ends a bit and now they don't rotate.