Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
+1
Another +1 somewhat.

The waves in LJ are generally pretty small, but they can vary. I spend some time just beyond the break and watch the sets and time them. When I get a good feel for the timing and the waves are really small, I unlock my rudder and peddle in fast jumping off when its about knee deep then pop out the drive and pull up the rudder.

When the waves are larger, I pull up the rudder and smash my drive do the blades are sideways. Using the oars, I paddle like hell until I can see the bottom is about waist high, then jump out.

Del Mar, the waves tend to be much larger, so timing is EVERYTHING! Oars only approach and row your ass off . If you start when the last wave of the set is passing you, you should be ok.

Secure EVERYTHING! Its amazing how even small waves can toss you sideways. If you are catching a wave on entry, use the flat of your oar and lean INTO the wave. You should be ok.

Some experienced guys come in backwards, but I have not tried this. Seems terrifying, though when I think about it, the threat is not the beach, its the wave. Facing the wave makes sense, but still seems scary to me. Gotta try it some time and see what its like...
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote