Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM   #1
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

4-14-08, a good reason for GPS...

Got a new kayak, with a rudder... the jury is still out on the rudder... kinda funky... but I can see the advantages in certain situations...
Goes up, and comes down easy enough, so if you dont want to use it, you dont have to.

Fishing Report: Plenty of bait, zero bites.... worked south... 7-12:30pm...

When I landed perfectly sunny skies... by the time I got my truck, and put my kayak on the racks...
An unforgiving fog rolled in... it would have been brutal to be out there without GPS, or a good compass....!
These pics are probably in a 5 minute period...

This first shot was the start, but it was COMPLETELY clear when I went to get my truck...

The snooty La Jolla Club...

Looking towards the point...

Looking towards the pier...

Ave de la playa...

Last edited by Holy Mackerel; 04-14-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: because!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Shortbite
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbite
I've got two, (handheld and cuda250) peace of mind for sure!
Shortbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Gee. I wonder if all of those touristas in the rental yaks had GPS?lol

Did you hear any plaintive cries of despair coming from out on the water?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #4
steamroll

Cool pics Chris.

CJ and I worked the kelp line and a current break por nada. Lots of bait, not many birds working.

When I landed, Paul Lebowitz was launching the New Hobie Inflatable Kayak. It seemed to handle today's big surf pretty well
Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
wavster

Great pics, Chris. Looks like a nice ride, as well. I guess the only
thing that kayak needs now is some of that red stuff on it's decks.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
dorado50

Nice ride, looks very sleak and fast! Oops, no gps for me today, glad I was off the water before it rolled in! Very cool pics and report...
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Grego

Nice look'n yak....I've been eyeing the darker green colors, everyone has been telling me how much faster they are. I just might retire from always having white...MAYBE
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
TomTurtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Oops, no gps for me today, glad I was off the water before it rolled in!..
I wasn't as fortunate! I launched around 11am and was caught in the thick of it on the water. I ended up anchoring up on some kelp and mellowing out for about an hour just soaking a mac.

About thirty minutes into the fog, a guy and his son cruised up to me in an aluminum skiff asking for help. They launched from mission bay and were fishing the kelp beds but had no idea of their current bearings. I let them know where we were in relation to the shores and the point. They ended up waiting it out right next to me. At one point we discussed the possibility of landing his boat at the shores and calling for a ride to pick up his truck and trailer in Mission Bay. There was no way they were making it back unless the fog broke.

The fog was insane and out of nowhere! I would say visibility was less than 50 yards. I checked weather.com minutes before leaving, no mention of anything besides sunshine in La jolla. I was shocked!

Thanks for snapping the pics!
TomTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
PAL

When I left at 11:30 there was no sign of fog. Unbelievable how quickly that came in.

The inflatable Hobie i12s won't win any races, but for people with no place to store a hard-shell 'yak, it's the bomb. Durable too, it would take a gaff hook to get through its thick skin.

Unfortunately I didn't get this one bloody.

Nice looking ride Chris.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
TXyakker
Junior

the 160i

You're gonna LOVE that boat! I've got the same one in yellow and it hauls. Whats odd about the rudder that you mentioned? Glad to see another Wilderness guy out here.
TXyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
esdees
The Good Clone

I noticed the fog from the 163 S just before I got on the 52. It looked pretty intense even from that far inland. Nice pics Chris (THE wilderness guy).
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 AM   #12
steveooo

Nice Pics Chris.
The New ride looks SICK
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
Afran
fishy

Nice sled. Hope you bloody it up soon.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
jscott

Is that the new ultralight 160? PAL was testing the new 120 today. 38#...amazing!
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscott View Post
Is that the new ultralight 160? PAL was testing the new 120 today. 38#...amazing!
No, it is another T-160i, but they did remove scupper holes near the seat, so it is not as "wet," not that bothered me, I wear breathable waders year round... I just decided to get a rudder this year, I was curious on whether it would help, drifting, and esp during the windy days. I was worried about getting my lines crossed and tangled in the rudder yesterday, but that didnt happen, although it was nice conditions out. It has a slight camo pattern within the mold, kind wish it was more camo, but still looks cool... Thanks to Rik of sdkayaks.com for setting up my flush mounts.... all 6 of them... I saw the new T-120, reminds me of those surf ski's...

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #16
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

The fog deal happened to me and my buddy one time as well. Paddled out with clear blue skies, an hour later we could not see ten feet. Of course, being big-time watermen, we both owned GPS's, which were stored safely at home. We did manage to run into another lost kayaker who did have a GPS, unfortunately, he recently received the unit as a gift and did not calibrate the GPS so we all paddled in circles until the fog lifted.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #17
grey zone

It's very common for dense fog to form after a warm Santa Ana wind event breaks down. It's easy to get caught off guard because of the dry clear weather prior. This is not a rule but something to keep in mind. Fog formation under these conditions is often fast and can occur at anytime of the day. Stay safe go prepared.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
Earl E. Retire
Junior

Grey Zone is absolutely right. And the time to get prepared is when the weather is clear. Mark waypoints in safe areas to get you back to the launch in good shape. You can use a chart to do this, or can simply paddle a safe route and mark points as you go. One thing that's very cool about GPS is accuracy. You'll be within a few meters of your spots using it. Just remember that other big boaters may be around that aren't as careful as you, and GPS isn't radar. A sounding device (whistle or horn) is important in fog too.

EER
Earl E. Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #19
Siebler

Pretty crazy, As nate and I got off the water it was all nice and warm. Saw it moving in while I was at Point Loma helping Brent. Pretty thick stuff.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #20
Shawn

Great looking kayak mate. Scary pictures of the fog, look how quick it turned, awesome.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote