Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > Other Kayak Fishing Tournaments

Old 08-12-2008, 02:08 PM   #1
OEX
Administrator

Steve Moyer Memorial Tournament

STEVE MOYER MEMORIAL KAYAK FISHING TOURNAMENT

~ Kayak Fishing Community Set To Reel In Huge Donation At Prestigious Annual Tournament ~

Big Water’s Edge and OEX Dive & Kayak Centers are excited to join La Jolla Kayak Fishing Adventures for their 6th Annual Steve Moyer Memorial Kayak Fishing Tournament, scheduled to launch on Saturday, September 6, 2008 at La Jolla Shores beginning at 5:30 am. Proceeds from what has been called the Super Bowl of Kayak Fishing Tournaments will be donated to the American Cancer Society in the name of Steve Moyer, an avid kayak fisherman who lost his battle with cancer in 2003. This celebrated tournament boasts over 200 participants in each of the last two years and over $45,000 in donations to the American Cancer Society to date. The addition of the spearfishing category, cash prizes for winners and new fund raising opportunities approaching the tournament promise to make this year an unsurpassed event in terms of both number of participants and money raised for the American Cancer Society.

Kayaks to be bid on in a pre-tournament on-line auction will be on display at OEX Dive & Kayak Centers from August 22nd to September 5th. Visit www.bigwatersedge.com for a list of which boats will be on display at each location. OEX Dive & Kayak Centers will be accepting donations for the American Cancer Society during this time and offering tournament participants a 10% discount on gear and accessory purchases with 5% being donated back to the American Cancer Society. Additionally, $25 will be donated for each kayak purchased at OEX when the Steve Moyer Memorial Kayak Fishing Tournament is mentioned through September 5th.

Entry through August 22nd is $50 and includes automatic entry in an hourly raffle drawing during the tournament; after August 22nd the entry fee is $60. Each entrant will receive an event T-shirt, lunch ticket, lure pack, Jackpot entry and one raffle ticket. One dollar from each entry will be donated to the Kayak Fishing Association of California, a grassroots advocacy group dedicated to preserving and expanding kayak fishing opportunities. Divisions in the kayak fishing category are Yellowtail, Halibut, White Seabass and “Other” in which the winner may be a Barracuda, Bonita or Mackerel with the largest fish weighed in each division winning. There is also a catch-photo and release Bass division. Prizes will be given to the three divers with single largest fish by weight in the Spear Fishing category with Yellowtail, White Seabass and Halibut being the only eligible species in this division.

The post-tournament BBQ will be held at the South Shores Park in Mission Bay on Sea World Drive. The public is welcome to attend the festivities; tickets will be available on-site for $10 per person. In addition to a raffle for great prizes, the BBQ will feature amazing food prepared by Matt Moyer, who is the executive chef at La Jolla Country Club, boat demos from OEX Dive & Kayak Centers and additional fun & games for the whole family.

For more information about the tournament, see official rules, the most up to date list of sponsors, bid in the on-line auction or to register, visit La Jolla Kayak Fishing at www.kayak4fish.com or call the La Jolla Kayak Fishing office at (619) 461-7172.
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Sherm

I'm already signed up. This is a fun tournament. It will be my 4th go around this year. One of these times I'm going to place in the top three. Just missed it two years ago. Great prizes and a great cause. I'm sure we all have been directly or indirectly involved with someone who has had to deal with cancer. Oh ya...My company is donating a cool raffle bag for the event. All kinds of good shwag. Reels, lures, gear, etc. The food is pretty awesome as well.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Spyder

Just signed up today wingman. This tourney truly is for a great cause. I have lost more than a few friends and relatives including my mother to cancer. I hope we see alot more folks signing up as the date gets closer.
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
lamb

Old 08-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
madscientist

One way or another I'll be out of town that weekend. Sorry to miss it.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
Razorback

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
One way or another I'll be out of town that weekend. Sorry to miss it.
Now you know how golfers feel when Tiger Woods drops out of a Major Tourney....lol

Now if Lauman and would go on a date to San Francisco for the weekend - I'd have a fightin' chance to win this year.

Actually - I'm running the bait / support boat for the event. SO when you knotheads need a tow - hail me on 71. Good Luck and Knock em Down.

Cris
Tiger Lily I

PS: I encourage everyone with a yak and a rod to enter. It is a blast and I'd love for nothing more than to see the donation records broken from the years past.

Razorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
DESTROYER

I look forward to seeing everyone there. Sign up ASAP so I can get a head count. This tournament is dear to my heart and i hope you all can make it. We have some very cool and different things going on this year, come join the fun.

Matt Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

I'm in.......

As soon as one of my surfboards sell, or I get a charter , it's green light go. The opportunity to support a great cause, and maybe break out the jersey, is more than tempting. Reguardless, I'll see you there.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
DESTROYER

4 bait boats this year guys! Should be a good one. Two days until the deadline then it goes from $50-$60. Can't wait

Matt
Old 08-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
lamb

All right...

Josh, just wanted to let you know - I'm sorry, but I don't have to work next Saturday...

And not only that - I just filled out an application for the King himself....

http://forum.kayak4fish.com/viewtopic.php?t=10948

Looking forward for the Moyer's toruney and hanging out with all. Always good times.

Game on all!
Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
DESTROYER

Oh shit! The King!. You can do it Jasmin

It's going to be a great time...Can't wait to give all some bait

Moyer
Old 08-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #12
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Jasmin? O crap... there goes my chance at a prize, and most everybody Else's for that matter!!

Getting Psyched, this will be a blast!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Jim Sammons LJKF

At this point Josh has not entered and though has entered, and made a sizeable extra contribution, he says he may not be able to make it. So sounds like it is wide open for everyone to win.

Hope to see you all there.
Don't forget the auction we have going for the five kayaks for Ocean Kayak, Malibu kayak, Hobie, and Wilderness systems.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
reel fishy

I think Larry Laumann should get a 10 pound handicap this year.

Looking forward to fishing with y'all. Saturday is coming up quick.

Just looked on the list of anglers...Dan Hernandez on a kayak? Must have a Fish N Dive. Different Dan Hernandez probably.
reel fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
bpkayak2

Cool steve

so when and where is this gonna take place if anybody can shed some info it sounds like a blast

thanks
micah
bpkayak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #16
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEX View Post
...scheduled to launch on Saturday, September 6, 2008 at La Jolla Shores beginning at 5:30 am...
Yesterday, sorry.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
Jim Sammons LJKF

Thanks Brent for the help with the tourney this year and thanks to all of you that supported the event.
Because of the support of the kayak fishing community we will be donating over $13,000 to our charity this year
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
Thanks Brent for the help with the tourney this year and thanks to all of you that supported the event.
Because of the support of the kayak fishing community we will be donating over $13,000 to our charity this year

Congratulations to all involved to raise these funds and support such a worthy cause.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote