Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #1
matthew7!

La Jolla 06/20

After a very sad week break from kayaking, all the training crap done. I went straight out to La Jolla especially after all the yellow tail bite reports. Fished 0600-1800, found bait took a hour but made enough for all day worth of fishing. Trolled south mainly due to the winds and current. Wind started at 6 or 7 and stayed howling all day. Surf was super easy though. Over cast all day barely any birds working. I did catch my first barracuda while trying to make bait. When trolling back north after trolling to the edge of south La Jolla reserve. Found a couple bass on the smaller baits in 30-40ft of water. Did see one guy with a yellow tail. Over all good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matthew7! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:12 PM   #2
matthew7!

Also fought our first seal today was definitely interesting fought it for five mins before realizing what it was then it spit the hook. Took four baits from us though.

Old 06-20-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
FISH11

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a copy of yesterday. Yesterday I get to LJ Shores launch and there's a whole bunch of kayakers setting up in the dark. My friend Chris tells me that the day before there was good Yellowtail action. It has been looking fishy for weeks, so I get my hopes even higher than they already were. After a while most of the kayaks that were spread all over, start to come back to the point area, most including myself still trying to make more bait to last the day. I trolled the sabiki all day and had 3 spanish, Lost two macs to tangles with suspended kelp, while trolling them along the outer edges of the kelp looking for Yellowtail or WSB. My last spanish got taken by a 14" Calico. Not being able to get more macs I started trolling a greenback Rapala lure and caught another Calico, all fish were released (except my last spanish mac that got eaten by the first calico). I did not see anybody get anything large and most I talked to said they had caught some Calicos. Even guys on the many boats out there were having the same luck. It really has become more about, "Being in the right place at the right time". It's going to open up sometime.
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 06-20-2020 at 08:37 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #4
matthew7!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a copy of yesterday. Yesterday I get to LJ Shores launch and there's a whole bunch of kayakers setting up in the dark. My friend Chris tells me that the day before there was good Yellowtail action. It has been looking fishy for weeks, so I get my hopes even higher than they already were. After a while most of the kayaks that were spread all over, start to come back to the point area, most including myself still trying to make more bait to last the day. I trolled the sabiki all day and had 3 spanish, Lost two macs to tangles with suspended kelp, while trolling them along the outer edges of the kelp looking for Yellowtail or WSB. My last spanish got taken by a 14" Calico. Not being able to get more macs I started trolling a greenback Rapala lure and caught another Calico, all fish were released (except my last spanish mac that got eaten by the first calico). I did not see anybody get anything large and most I talked to said they had caught some Calicos. Even guys on the many boats out there were having the same luck. It really has become more about, "Being in the right place at the right time". It's going to open up sometime.

Definitely about the same days there was for sure a fair amount of kayakers out there. Must were off the water by 1400.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
FullFlavorPike

I had basically the same day. Saw a few guys on boats farm fish trying to horse them in.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

I was out a few days ago for the first time in awhile. Blanked on the yellows. What I noticed was there were tons of mackerel around, however most of the schools did not seem interested in the Sabiki. Had to find the right school that wanted to bite. Kind of reminded me of tuna fishing actually. I did troll a hefty greenback around most of the day looking for the right stuff but there just wasn’t any pelagic action that I saw.

YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
captainbarky
Junior

I fished from around 0730-1130, catching a ~18lb YT around 1130 near the south end. I was towing an unweighted greenback on 30lb mono in about 110' of water when bit. I found bait to be plentiful, with more spanish than greenbacks. I caught bait almost every time I saw them on the meter and probably stopped loading the bait tank by 0930. I had three barracuda bites where two of them completely shredded my bait.

I think I made it back to the beach a little after 1300 and there were a ton of kayaks and trucks loading out. One guy had what looked like a ~35lb WSB and I also saw a halibut.

Last edited by captainbarky; 06-23-2020 at 11:26 PM.
captainbarky is offline   Reply With Quote