Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

La Jolla - Flipping Kayaks :)

I did not think flipping ones kayak on a moderate surf launch was as common as it actually is. But then, I have only performed a couple of these tricky but exciting en-devours so far. Most of my launches are from landings or harbors.

We launched from La Jolla Shores this morning with a menacing 3-3.5 ft surf, certainly more than I was expecting. We went for it, but my nephew took a few spills trying to get past the break. It was his first beach launch so I'd say he did pretty good. We saw about 40% of our fellow kayakers flip on the launch or landing that day. Happy to say I made it in and out this time around without flipping but I was basically as wet as had I took the plung.

I had all my gear stowed for the landing but it made me think that launching in other than pristine conditions might require better insurance measures, especially after reading that guys post a week or two back saying how he lost his drive and seat among other things (ouch). Fortunately my nephew actually fell out of the kayak on the launch and did not flip over the kayak. In any case I always have my poles leased no matter what so nothing was lost.

Check out this funny video I took of these two guys coming in after us.

https://youtu.be/cHYfFVLV9JQ

As for the fishing, that was another story all together. I spoke to a guy that seemed to be a regular there and he and a friend were drifting with live bait for WSB and YT but came up empty. That was the plan I had as well, but as I was making my way out I started noticing the rather steep swells and sort intervals (forcaste was for 2-3 ft but man it looked bigger than that). After a little while I started getting really sea sick. I did not loose my breakfast but almost hopped that I would and possibly relieve the lousy nauseated feelings I had.

I have often said to myself, "what are these guys talking about when they say they had to come in because they were sea sick...who in the heck gets sea sick on their kayak?". Well now I know. It can be bad. I guess it was just a bad day for me or those short interval swells today just got me in a bad way. In any case I did not even attempt to fish I felt so lousy. It took everything I could to to keep my nephew fishing and helping him make bait, fix tangles, etc. In the end he made his own bait for the first time and managed a few calicos, a white fish and some other misc catches.

In the end it was a great day as I learned a lot about surf launches and was able to spend some fun time with my nephew on the water.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #2
BenCantrell

Why on earth everyone doesn't come in for the landing backwards is beyond me. Big wave comes at you, you just paddle forward through it, then resume paddling backwards. You're good when you feel your kayak hit sand.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
da22y

[QUOTE=BenCantrell;307236]Why on earth everyone doesn't come in for the landing backwards is beyond me.

Going backward does not always assure you happy landing 100%.

Today I bail out before a roller , grab the side of my revo 13 planning to be push in by the wave.

Wishful thinking... I got rolled.
Everything tied down, lost a mini sprayer bottle.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Yes I have tried the backward entry where you face the waves and paddle backwards to shore. I thought it worked out pretty good. The waves were such this day I felt I would likely get toasted by the breakers even if I was facing them so better to just time it and book it to the shore. Ended up working for me

As for the short swell interval. I think I just picked a bad day. The graph I pulled from Thursdays marine records (second box below) show a large spike in the short swell interval. Notice how they drop from 15 sec interval to 8 or 9 sec intervals. Just shows the forecast is only so good and big changes can suddenly appear.

The first box shows what the surf actually was compared to forecast. I was looking for 3 footers but they were more like 5. Anyway these are buoy wave height readings I think but it will definitely translate into higher surf than expected that day.

Yes I have tried the backward entry where you face the waves and paddle backwards to shore. I thought it worked out pretty good. The waves were such that day I felt I would likely get tost by the breakers even if I was facing them so better to just time it and book it to the shore. Ended up working for me

As for the short swell interval. I think I just picked a bad day. The graph I pulled from Thursdays marine records (second box below) show a large spike in the short swell interval. Notice how they drop from 15 sec interval to 8 or 9 sec intervals. Just shows the forecast is only so good and big changes can suddenly appear.

The first box shows what the surf actually was compared to forecast. I was looking for 3 footers but they were more like 5. Anyway these are buoy wave height readings I think but it will definitely translate into higher surf than expected that day.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
GregAndrew

Congrats on your In N Out. How did the water look?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Congrats on your In N Out. How did the water look?
It seemed a bit dingy but nothing terrible. No strange odors.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #7
deptrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
Why on earth everyone doesn't come in for the landing backwards is beyond me. Big wave comes at you, you just paddle forward through it, then resume paddling backwards. You're good when you feel your kayak hit sand.
When doing this in a Hobie, when do you pull the drive?
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
TJones

paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
Paddle the PA coming in backwards. I would imagine if you are gonna drive the boat in backwards as opposed to paddle the boat in, you better be good switching between forward and reverse if it is a 180 drive. You really need the paddle to dig in and stop yourself to let catching wave pass, also steer you. If you are about to take one to the chest, then you would paddle into wave. I am by no means an expert with the PA. Im trying to get tips also. I switched from a PA12, to a PA14. The 12 was not bad in surf. The 14 is a beast, unless you are Conan. Hope this is helpful.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #9
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
Thats a great question. I believe the drive should be pulled just before you head into the surf. I stow it below deck so its safe. I would never use it to go into the surf as you might hit the bottom in shallow spots and damage the drive. I use nothing but my paddle to control and drive the kayak (either going in or out). The only danger here is the brief time the drive is removed from the slot to the time it is safely below deck. Just keep the lanyard attached until you close that hatch.

Others have said to keep the drive inserted but just keep it in the 'flat' position against the hull. They say it is safe as there are no parts that can be damaged if you run up on the shore which of course you have to do when you land. And of course if its locked into the hull it cant fall out (thats very true). I subscribed to that method until just a week ago. I started to noticed my 180 drive was very difficult to switch between forward and reverse requiring a very hard pull. I stopped by Fastlane where I bought it and the owner told me I had a lot of sand particles up in the bearings where the 180 rotates from forward to reverse. I took the drive home and vigorously flushed out the area in question with a heavy stream of water as instructed. I was able to get one of the fins to move freely but the other is still bound up. I will probably have to take it back to be dismantled and cleaned out. I definitely attribute this to having left my drive in during landings and take offs.

So those who say the drive can stay in and run up on the beach without consequence have been proven wrong. So I just pull it out and stick it down the hatch and paddle in. Some will say the danger of transferring the drive from the slot to below deck and having a mishap is too great and they would rather keep it locked in place throughout the landing. I do acknowledge this fact but now that I know the sand will get into my bearings and damage the unit I feel stowing below deck is the best reasonable option. You Decide!

Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
NICKWORN

There are a lot more newbies too> not saying i wasn't once one, but yea more stories of yard sales for sure.

I prefer to paddle in while watching breakers, if one approaches i paddle backwards slightly to gain momentum, wave hits me and i chase it, repeat until im waist deep and walk it in.

Hobies dont surf well and if you are caught surfing it, you better dig that paddle in deep, otherwise your gonna get rolled.

The backwards method just seems so awkward, never really see anyone doing that anyways. Plus, big white wash will flip you using this method anyhow.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

I always launch and land with drive in. But I don’t run it up on the beach with the drive in, I jump out and pull the drive in 2-3’ of water. It’s way faster using the drive than the paddle, and seconds can make the difference if surfs up. When I launch I walk out in the same depth water, plug in drive hop in and crush through the surf as fast as possible. Still yet to yard sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
deptrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
I started to noticed my 180 drive was very difficult to switch between forward and reverse requiring a very hard pull. I stopped by Fastlane where I bought it and the owner told me I had a lot of sand particles up in the bearings where the 180 rotates from forward to reverse. I took the drive home and vigorously flushed out the area in question with a heavy stream of water as instructed. I was able to get one of the fins to move freely but the other is still bound up. I will probably have to take it back to be dismantled and cleaned out. I definitely attribute this to having left my drive in during landings and take offs.
Flushing with water is usually a temporary solution.

I've completely torn apart my drive twice now. The YouTube video in this thread is very useful.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=63785
deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:55 AM   #13
baileybikes

I was the guy that went out just after you flipped on the tandem island. Hardly comparable to a regular yak, but I've done both and always make a note of when i would have flipped in a regular yak and that day wasn't one of them.

Same as what the others have said - timing is everything and I have spent 40 minutes trying to find a window a few times.

I also do what YakDout does - stand in thigh deep water waiting for the window the drive loaded. Jump in, keep it straight and sprint like Cavendish until you are out.

Coming in - same business. I watch the waves crashing the beach and try to make note of how it looks when the big wave crashes and sprint like hell until in 3' of water and pull the drive out. If you are moving fast enough, you will just surf whatever white wash is left. (is "white wash" still politically correct? )

I came in that day standing on the bow holding my mast like i was Moana - probably my best landing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
I always launch and land with drive in. But I don’t run it up on the beach with the drive in, I jump out and pull the drive in 2-3’ of water. It’s way faster using the drive than the paddle, and seconds can make the difference if surfs up. When I launch I walk out in the same depth water, plug in drive hop in and crush through the surf as fast as possible. Still yet to yard sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baileybikes is offline   Reply With Quote