Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #1
tsugg
LOWSPARK

PA and Outback on the roof

I'm just about to pick up a shell for my tacoma, it comes with the Yakima basic racks on it. Which system does everyone on BWE feel is a good way to carry our PA and our outback at the same time up on the yakima racks? Simple and not the most expensive is where I'd like to think I can run it.
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

I would highly recommend yakiman Hully Rollers and Mako Saddles, that combo has worked very well for me over the years. I have an OK Prowler Big Game which is a beast, but the yakima saddles and rollers have stayed strong over 9 years now, and I have carried my kayak on them for at least 25,000 miles, on a combination of vehicles and crossbars
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
toby

I have a set of Mako Saddles and Hulley rollers I bought used for $80. Some one said they would work on thule bars. Didn't quite seem to work. I'll let them go for $80. Escondido
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
cabojohn
PROBATION

old pic-
You should be able to haul a PA and another with zero issues.
This set up was pretty solid with the rain gutter attachment on the side of the shell with three yaks.
I'd run anywhere with this set up $.02

Last edited by cabojohn; 11-23-2015 at 06:39 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
toby

nice truck Cabo!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM   #6
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
old pic-
You should be able to haul a PA and another with zero issues.
This set up was pretty solid with the rain gutter attachment on the side of the shell with three yaks.
I'd run anywhere with this set up $.02
Someone is taking a whiz in the back...Is that you Cabo..?
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
tsugg
LOWSPARK

Nice try k

That truck is perfect for Erindira in Baja !!!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsugg View Post
That truck is perfect for Erindira in Baja !!!
You fish Castro's on the yak? We did it last year but struck out big time. Had no idea where to start. We hit all of the inside kelp for zip. Then a local dude told us to paddle 2.2 miles in that direction and we'd run into a good red reef...lol, zip. I know the wsb and tails go through there but prob under right conditions just like anywhere else. Yak fishing Punta Banda is also on my list...Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
tsugg
LOWSPARK

CASTRO'S

I have several times. Back in the days b4 kayaks we would pay to fish in the pangas with the locals. Last few years we camp north of Erinderira at that big half bay with the big cliff at the north end, I usually have at least one surfer in our group and the surf at the north end of the bay is usually a lot of fun. We then go a little farther north with the trucks and there are several areas with no surf but rocky shoreline and carefully launch there. Mostly fat callicos and and occational halibut out past the kelp beds. There are lots of lobster and sea urchin fishermen in that area so lobster tacos and cold ballenas are the usual dinner fare. That's a great area to camp the first weekend of june because the baja 500 race uses the same dirt roads and go right by our camp all day long.That 2.2 miles you speak of is prolly right up where we camp. One year we watched a local with a 10' surf pole hook a nice tail from the rocks at the shore and he landed that fish!
Good times there and not very far from the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
You fish Castro's on the yak? We did it last year but struck out big time. Had no idea where to start. We hit all of the inside kelp for zip. Then a local dude told us to paddle 2.2 miles in that direction and we'd run into a good red reef...lol, zip. I know the wsb and tails go through there but prob under right conditions just like anywhere else. Yak fishing Punta Banda is also on my list...Jim