Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
Deefeesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
Why was the lifeguard not called?

They are at the ready and monitor vhf channel 16
They can be anywhere in that harbor in a couple minutes!

I have called them more than once for others in need.
again you can reach them on channel 16!
They will take you and your kayak back to the boat ramp if needed.

Also
if you are going to fish the LA Harbor
you may want these numbers on your cell phone:

LA Port Police: 310-732-3500
Life Guard: 310-548-2909
Thanks for the contact #'s.
Deefeesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #22
bigbarrels

[QUOTE=socaldv01;116353]Nice to be able to put a name to the face. I was the friend on the little mini-x. I have a tandem pro that I like to use but so it happens, I wanted the convenience of the little yak and I didn't want to drive. It was easier to just load it into the back of his truck.

He just picked up that bait tank and a 12v timer for the X-Factor at OEX the day before. Previously, he had a 5 gallon bait tank with the discharge hose going off the side. With the new tank, I had told him to drill out the side instead of the back, but he didn't. It was a big discharge hose and he didn't have an elbow so he left it off thinking that it would drain itself through the scupper holes. Unfortunately, he wasn't aware that the water that was being discharged was now entering the hatch where his new bait tank was. At that time, he also didn't have his timer connected yet so the pump was running full speed at 12v.

Been there, done that.....http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...don%27t+happen

A couple years ago, I had a painful conversation with the guys at Malibu kayaks regarding their bait tank set up for the X FActor. I advised him that I bypassed my timer switch while on the water because it was not working and had it running on a 12 volt. He told me that it was only meant to run with a timer switch. So, I said that maybe they should let the consumers know that and maybe put some sort of caution label on the tank. Just thought it would be a simple way to prevent this poorly designed kayak from sinking and possibly killing someone in the future. The X FActor is a great fishing platform but that rear hatch is going to strike again. MAybe they have put a warning out to consumers?

Maybe something like:

This Kayak Will Sink if Run on a 12 Volt Without a Timer Switch

Of course there is always ways to prevent sinking your X FActor. Having a sump pump available and within reach is key. But that wobble of the kayak.....by the time you have that wobble you are probably 1/2 to 3/4 full of water and you better pump fast.....real fast......If I still had that kayak I think I would install one of those automatic, built in bilge pumps.....

glad everyone is OK and again, nice work Greg!!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Nice save !!!

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
mrJB

Another One...

Harbor Patrol towed two guys in one of those folding frame 'yaks in to Baby's Beach this afternoon. Ray talked to them and they said they were swamped leaving the harbor. One, if not both, had just trunks and a PFD on.
Murphy's Law strikes again...
Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
Nice to be able to put a name to the face. I was the friend on the little mini-x. I have a tandem pro that I like to use but so it happens, I wanted the convenience of the little yak and I didn't want to drive. It was easier to just load it into the back of his truck.

He just picked up that bait tank and a 12v timer for the X-Factor at OEX the day before. Previously, he had a 5 gallon bait tank with the discharge hose going off the side. With the new tank, I had told him to drill out the side instead of the back, but he didn't. It was a big discharge hose and he didn't have an elbow so he left it off thinking that it would drain itself through the scupper holes. Unfortunately, he wasn't aware that the water that was being discharged was now entering the hatch where his new bait tank was. At that time, he also didn't have his timer connected yet so the pump was running full speed at 12v.

He had stated earlier that his kayak felt a little off balance earlier but since he's the only one that's ever been on that kayak, I didn't know what to tell him. We were actually heading out of the bay to hit the kelp bed outside when I noticed that the back end of his kayak was under water. When I told him, he looked back and tried to straddle it to balance himself but ended up flipping it. I had instructed him not to try to mount the kayak yet but he panicked since he's never flipped one before. Initially, the kayak wasn't fully submerged but he must have flipped it about 3 times while in the water trying to get back on it. We kept whistling and trying to flag down boats but none were around. The thing was, when we were trolling there, there were boats coming and going. But during the time of the incident, none had passed through. The VA that was heading towards our direction had turned into the harbor. It was then that we saw Greg heading our way.

The story continues with Greg's post and the video.
Crap! sorry to hear this, glad all ended OK.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #26
rhyak

I think thats the secon yak you have towed...

Rhyak
rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #27
roby
CEO of Team Roby

I don't believe any of that "fish report" even with the video.....

Mr. Greg Andrews only caught one short halibut......no way!!!
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyak View Post
I think thats the secon yak you have towed...

Rhyak
At least this time I knew not to even try to drain it otw lol. And last time was less than 100 yards. Actually made almost 1mph towing the submarine with the Scotty periscope.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
lamb

Good on ya' Greg!!
Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #30
NextBite

Im speechless

Kudo's to Greg
NextBite is offline   Reply With Quote