Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
tsugg
LOWSPARK

PRO vs OUTBACK

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between fishing in a pro angler vs fishing in a outback? I was just wondering about the feel(stability) if someone has fished both of them. I have my PA14 BUT I was thinking about how much lighter the OB would be to haul around.
We were at fastlane yesterday looking at yaks for the wife and my two boys and the sales guy was talking about what a work horse the OB is and it got me thinking about all the weight I'm hauling around(me as well)in the PA. I bought the PA because I'm an overweight 61 yr. old and I thought the PA would be like a big boat as far as stability goes, but I've found I keep the seat in the low pos. and when I crawl around front to back it can be pretty unstable,not what I had hoped for.So with that in my mind I thought maybe the OB would be about the same as the PA stability wise, but a lot lighter to haul around.
Any thoughts from those who has fished both?
tsugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #2
momo fish

If you feel unstable in a PA you will be feel more unable in a OB. I don't have a PA but this is just from testing it. Outbacks are plenty stable when sitting. Best part is ability to throw on your back and carry it to launch.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
FISH11

If the PA feels unstable if moving around the deck the Outback is going to be worse. There is a lot less deck area to need to access, so you shouldn't need to move around as much. The Outback is a lot lighter but all Hobies weigh a lot more than other brands in the same size catagory. You just have to decide if peddaling is better for you then Paddling. If you want to have an easier time with the hauling around weight than get an Outback or other brand (wide 31" to 33") for stability and simply add the outriggers that can be added to them to make them supper stable. There are aftermarket outrigger (small side pontoons) like Scotty and Hobie even has them. They are detachable, some use Scotty mounts, so when you don't want then on there isn't a thing to get in the way. The add ons sound more like what you need and hardly weigh anything and you could even add them to your PA. Hobie sells the add on as a Sidekick AMA kit.

Last edited by FISH11; 05-18-2014 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added more info
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
tsugg
LOWSPARK

muchos grasseass!
Old 05-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
CKallday71

I love my Outback. Takes a licking and keeps on hauling my fat arse out! I've found it to be VERY stable although for some reason I feel like it lists to the right some times. Could be my ear problem though.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
tsugg
LOWSPARK

I love it (PA)on the water, it's the haulin that can be a little difficult at times
Old 05-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
inbx3

I've had both and there are differences. OB sits lower and, if you have inflexible hips like me, after a while they can bug you. Monkey butt is another thing to think about. And storage/deck space is less. It is lighter and easier to tote around though, used to put it on top of my truck by myself. PA sits higher and in a more comfortable position and I think is easier on the knees. Side saddle is harder to do. No cup holder ($3000 kayak and nowhere to put your drink?) It is a heavier kayak but have yet to really move it. It's on a trailer so I don't load or unload it, just wash it and put it away. They are both very stable but with the higher seat position the PA feels less stable but I can still stand no problem. Overall I like both. Had the OB 1st and if I never had another 'yak I would've been cool with it. Have a PA 12 now and don't see ever getting another. Hope this helps. Can't go wrong with either one.
Side note; never tipped either of them so I don't know about getting back in on the water but after reading the earlier posts I need to do this one day. That may be something you want to think about.
inbx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #8
StinkyMatt

You are not putting the outback on your back and hauling it to the launch...ever!

If you felt unstable on pa...don't go to on.

The seat on the PA is worth a million bucks.

Test an outback at a shop so you know for sure.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
Rambo

If your looking to put an extra person on the kayak to fish with you, go with the PA14, with that 600 lbs capacity, you and your wife on the kayak wont feel like its weighing down the kayak when its on water the kayak still moves pretty fast. But yes its a tank to hull around if you planning to put it on your roof rack.

So at 61, I'd rather sit on a nice chair rather then having backache with restricted to movement and less ability to stand up and stretch. The PA gives you a piece of mind for stability, spending longer hours fishing on the water, and the room to carry your heart desired with fishing tackle.

Now for the Outback, A few of my buddies each have one and it's real easy to hull that thing around. Enough room for a few tackle with 4 rod holder already molded in. Your butt gets wet all the time, so never a dry ride. Each one of my buddies complain about back ache, and they range in age from 24 to 40yrs old. They all talk about upgrading to a PA.

Any hobie is a great investment, the price dont really depreciate too much so if your strap for cash, they sell quite quick.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
socal.beach.bum

One Pro I would say the OB has over the PA is due to its lighter weight, you can haul it out to more remote places. Perfect example was this weekend when a few buddies and myself went to a remote beach up in Ventura and the only access was this narrow dirt trail that was 3' wide and a 45 degree incline. It was hell getting our OBs down, could not even imagine trying that with a PA.
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
oneyedeer

papa bears too big baby bears too small pa12 just right
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #12
CKallday71

Hmm. Was just wondering how spanktacular a PA Tandem would be. Maybe a PA 16 with two of the lawn chairs?
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
tsugg
LOWSPARK

This site is so great! Can you imagine going to a sales associate and trying to get info that you can count on? It's always the peeps here that we rely on and can count on. NO EVER GONA HAPPEN ON A POWER BOAT SITE!! I love you guys!!😍
Old 05-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
StinkyMatt

They already have a PA tandem...its called a Bayliner.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #15
tsugg
LOWSPARK

I guess if I buy a OB for the rest of my crew I'll have plenty of opportunity to try it out!
Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #16
tsugg
LOWSPARK

New outback

Well, we looked at several used outbacks on CL and they all seem to hold their resale value real good($1500-1800).So we went to oceanside OEX and talked to Rick. He has a beautiful store demo outback that will be available in aug.at a great price, then he checked Hobies web site for a factory second and he found two ! so he got us a brand new outback with very minor pigment blems in a couple of spots for $1,400.!!!! It is BEAUTIFUL.

We can thank Rick enough for taking to time to check the factory and help us out.
If you are up in the O'side area check his store out. He knows a lot about the sport and especially FISHING.

So fri. afternoon we took both the PA14 and the new outback to the carlsbad lagoon for some kayak time for the wife and I fished a little- no love from the fish. I did get to try out the outback. Two things I noticed right away,1 you need to stay centered on the OB or you get some serious listing and 2, the turbo fins make a huge difference.Well three things 3, the vantage seat is a game changer!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1208.jpg (61.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #17
makoslayer

Did a quick walkthrough on my PA14. I cant say enough about it. pretty sweet ride

http://www.i-yak.com/2014/03/my-new-...lkthrough.html

Stealth 14 (Sand Camo)
makoslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #18
straightrod

Wife and I go out most weekends from Redondo to Mission Bay in an Outback tandem for the last four years. We are late 50's early 60's and fish mainly offshore, hardly ever go more than 3 miles straight out.

We have encountered some nasty seas with high winds and while it was scary getting back in we never tipped over. Getting older has me thinking Tandem Island - let that sail help and think of all the gear I can bring; however, a trailer and its weight would limit our favorite launch sites. Get the Island keep the outback - best of both worlds.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote