Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
ryan111

lobster season

i cant wait until season anyone els doing it this year how do you guys do it :lobs ter:: lobster::lobst er::l obster::lobste r::lo bster:
ryan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
old_rookie

I plan on it. Wife is eager for me to go out and do it.
From what I have found it, night time is when to place your nets. You can have up to 5 nets on your yak. That's all I know so far - I do wonder:
how long to let the nets soak?
how many can you catch?
Is night time the only time to catch them?
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
PB fisher
feeesh

yes yes I only went buggin' a few times last year and missed out. Will be ready this season.

PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
roadx

i have never used a kayak for lobster hooping always off a boat, it's tough work and can imagine that off a kayak is even more strenuous. i need to figured out some kind of pulley system.

couple things needed

a Spiny Lobster Report Card is required $8.40 along with fishing license

limit is the seven

minimum size Three and one fourth inches

lobsters must be kept whole

five nets max per person ten per boat

curious if anyone has tried salmon heads or mackerel smeared with uni butter ???
i might try it
Old 08-26-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
Riskey Water

MMMMMM mackeral smeared with uni butter ,I'll have to try the the next time I go to the sushi bar ,spanish mackeral ofcourse
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
Willy

Guys,
Search the threads of this forum for lobstering info.
Most of the old salts on here go buggin', some with great success.
There have been jewels of knowledge dropped in various threads over the years.
Do your homework, it's worth it.

Some basics:
Yes go at dark that's when the bugs feed.
Drop your nets on flat ground next to structure, they leave the structure to scavenge for food. Structure could be anything; rocks, jetties, piers, etc.
Bait needs to be anything stinky and or oily. It needs to attract them. Just think about what they eat, fallen, dead fish. Mackerel, Bonito, Salmon heads, etc.
A lot of guys buy a bunch of cheap cans of cat food, and punch holes in them to add a chum slick in the water. They will eat just about anything.

Be careful!!! It's dangerous around structure at night. Don't assume people will see you. Get the proper reflective equipment for you, your gear and your boat.

When you buy nets, upgrade the buoys immediately to the larger bullet shaped ones, Squidco sells them for under $5 each. It's worth the investment, you will lose less of your gear in the current, kelp, dark etc.

There are pulley systems available, some even snap right onto your Ram Ball.
Buoy lighting is important, they will vanish in the dark, even if you think you know where they are. There are a million ways to light a buoy, that's where you'll need to do some research. Check the BloodyDecks board as well, they have some creative lighting/bugging techniques that can translate to yak buggin.

Make sure you're legal. The DFG loves lobster season, and you WILL be checked at some point.

Did I mention BE CAREFUL?!!!!

That should get you started.

Willy
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
ryan111

thanks willy so do you launch at the shores and then where are some good spots
Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
ryan111

and how long do you leave it in the water for??
Old 08-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Useful Idiot

The search button is your friend. Love it. Embrace it.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan111 View Post
and how long do you leave it in the water for??
With a string of 5 nets you can just keep pulling them up in order, reset them, move on to the next, and it ends up about 15-30 minutes between each pull on each net. When they are crawling good you don't want your bait sitting out too long or they will eat it all up and move on. If its slow you may want to soak them longer. Give it a try... you will meet others on the water and learn lots in short order. I would suggest shallower water to start out, maybe near harbor jettys....

Oh, make sure you wrap up your rope to proper length for the depth you are targeting. Don't let a ton of rope hang out on the surface or you will tangle yourself and potentially damage other boat props causing a big safety problem. Try only a couple nets at most to start out, smaller investment (you will lose nets eventually) and easier to manage and learn.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Guys,
Search the threads of this forum for lobstering info.
Most of the old salts on here go buggin', some with great success.
There have been jewels of knowledge dropped in various threads over the years.
Do your homework, it's worth it.

Some basics:
Yes go at dark that's when the bugs feed.
Drop your nets on flat ground next to structure, they leave the structure to scavenge for food. Structure could be anything; rocks, jetties, piers, etc.
Bait needs to be anything stinky and or oily. It needs to attract them. Just think about what they eat, fallen, dead fish. Mackerel, Bonito, Salmon heads, etc.
A lot of guys buy a bunch of cheap cans of cat food, and punch holes in them to add a chum slick in the water. They will eat just about anything.

Be careful!!! It's dangerous around structure at night. Don't assume people will see you. Get the proper reflective equipment for you, your gear and your boat.

When you buy nets, upgrade the buoys immediately to the larger bullet shaped ones, Squidco sells them for under $5 each. It's worth the investment, you will lose less of your gear in the current, kelp, dark etc.

There are pulley systems available, some even snap right onto your Ram Ball.
Buoy lighting is important, they will vanish in the dark, even if you think you know where they are. There are a million ways to light a buoy, that's where you'll need to do some research. Check the BloodyDecks board as well, they have some creative lighting/bugging techniques that can translate to yak buggin.

Make sure you're legal. The DFG loves lobster season, and you WILL be checked at some point.

Did I mention BE CAREFUL?!!!!

That should get you started.

Willy

All good advice. Also.....try looking around areas in the day time first. Many times I have found good buggin spots when out fishing. Don't go where everyone else goes. Too many boats at night can get dangerous.

Last season was a good one. I put in 15 trips on the water and got 92 bugs (bug cards are good for something). Not a bad average. Biggest going 5.5 lbs.

Oh ya......pay attention to the weather reports!!!!!! Being out there when the conditions change can SUCK big time.

Good luck
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
WahooUSMA

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/h...-hoop-netting/

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #13
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooUSMA View Post
Wow, Great link! Thanks!
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:49 AM   #14
jorluivil

Since I went from boater to boater & kayaker to kayaker(sold my boat) it will be my first year hooping from a yak. I had an awesome time hooping from my boat: Catalina & all around Long Beach.

For you newbies, don't take hooping from a yak lightly. It was dangerous hooping from a boat and I can guarantee you it's going to be just as or mroe dangerous hooping from a yak. You tend to look down a lot and this causes you to put your guard down.

I recall hooping in Catalina one night, we had a few nets set just outside some kelp in about 15-20 feet of water. When we brought one of the nets up we had two legals and began the measuring process, little did we know that the current was pushing us into the kelp/rocks.....I managed to back away before we hit but boy was it close.

My partner and I have already discussed some of the details for the upcoming season. First and foremost we covered safety: kayak lighting, reflecting tape & multiple headlamps. We're also looking into building some sort of floating mini barge to transport the nets, something that can be easily towed and easily accessed.

As far as bait goes we've tried it all. Rockfish, mackerel, catfood, rancid chicken, salmon heads, fish guts & squid.......won't give away any secrets away but 2 of the 7 are the ticket. Don't forget to dress warm and by all means be prepared to deal with fog.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #15
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Be careful!!! It's dangerous around structure at night. Don't assume people will see you. Get the proper reflective equipment for you, your gear and your boat.Willy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
My partner and I have already discussed some of the details for the upcoming season. First and foremost we covered safety: kayak lighting, reflecting tape & multiple headlamps.
Great advice on safety, thx.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

One more piece of advice is to carry 2 lobster gauges. If you were to lose your only one it would then be illegal to posses lobster even if legal and measured. you MUST have a gauge in possesion. Oh yeah and be safe, lots of drunks out on ill prepared boats.
Mike
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:37 PM   #17
wade

its going to be a VERY prosperous Winter 2010 Season, Recreational Hoopers..!!
I personally released several hundred just-on clickers...
Im talking about a 1/16 of an inch off, just a season and a half ago...
so if 1 + 1 = 2 & divide by 1 molt, that should be= 3 and 1/4"s, eh?

Heres to a great season guys!!!!!

(BugZillA!)

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #18
roadx

trying to get ready but work is getting in the way. luckily im back to my normal work schedule the friday before the season opener.

is there going to be any seminars or lobster gear sales before the opener???
Old 09-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #19
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
is there going to be any seminars or lobster gear sales before the opener???
Upcoming Hooping Seminars

Sept. 23rd - Thursday at 7pm
Baja Fish Gear
24603 Narbonne Ave.
Lomita, 90717
310-517-9897

Sept. 25th - Saturday at 1pm & 3pm
Sport Chalet
13455 Maxella Ave. #138
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
310-821-9400

Sept. 26th Sunday at 2:00pm
Jig Stop Tackle
34186 Pacific Coast Highway
Dana Point, 92629
949-496-3555

Sept. 30th - Thursday at 7:00pm
Sav-on Tackle
9917 Orr & Day Rd.
Santa Fe Springs, 90670
562-864-2911

Oct. 16th - Saturday at
Turners
Old 09-22-2010, 06:03 AM   #20
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

a dfg biologist is talking about lobster populations at the san diego free divers meeting on monday at the lj brew house right after happy hour
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote