Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #21
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
LOL, This AJ was it for last week, but I will put one up later for this week.
Yay!
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:35 PM   #22
SoCalEDC

Nice jack there!
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 06:16 AM   #23
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Nice jack there!
Thanks, I love catching them, and usually throw them back to be caught another day. They are good eating, but the big ones tend to have worms in the tail meat.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 02:02 AM   #24
shughes
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
I have very limited fishing time on Bull reds, and when I did, it was 36-inch Reds with a bait caster and 20lb test. That said, the RCKJB 700-250 is probably a little too heavy, unless you are in a situation where you need the heavier line ratings to stop the fish from cutting you off. I use mine to yank big Amberjacks off the wrecks. It just so happens, I caught this one on it today. The rod is on the left side of the photo.

appreciate the insights. i have a RCKJB 700-112 blank on the way. Actually got a RCLB70L in last week but just think the action is going to be too fast. Even if I cut the RCLB down a bit the fulcrum point is still to far up rod for my tastes. I concur with you on the having the bend point closer to mid rod to make it easier on back and prolonged fight. I do have a RCLB70XL that I like but that one bends down farther due to lighter action.
shughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:30 AM   #25
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughes View Post
appreciate the insights. i have a RCKJB 700-112 blank on the way. Actually got a RCLB70L in last week but just think the action is going to be too fast. Even if I cut the RCLB down a bit the fulcrum point is still to far up rod for my tastes. I concur with you on the having the bend point closer to mid rod to make it easier on back and prolonged fight. I do have a RCLB70XL that I like but that one bends down farther due to lighter action.
In general Rainshadow blanks are underrated. Wish I knew that prior to buying two RCLB70L blanks. I concur that the fulcrum is too high up on the blank for the line ratings, and I also prefer the XL version.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:29 AM   #26
shughes
Junior

For what its worth the 700-112 may bend farther then you think compared to the XL. Will attach a couple comparison pics. I built out the XL and L and prefer XL as well. Was trying to find something between the two blanks. Im thinking of rotating out my L to dock use and kind of wish I had not butt cut now. May go back and extend the rear length in future. Curious what type of reels are folks using on their RCLBs. I am using the Alps size 20 reel seats and was wondering if the smaller Fathom size 12 would fit without any wobble on seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCLB70XL.jpg (91.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg RCKJB700-112.jpg (88.5 KB, 24 views)
shughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #27
Mahigeer

That is some nice fishing.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 02:23 PM   #28
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shughes View Post
For what its worth the 700-112 may bend farther then you think compared to the XL. Will attach a couple comparison pics. I built out the XL and L and prefer XL as well. Was trying to find something between the two blanks. Im thinking of rotating out my L to dock use and kind of wish I had not butt cut now. May go back and extend the rear length in future. Curious what type of reels are folks using on their RCLBs. I am using the Alps size 20 reel seats and was wondering if the smaller Fathom size 12 would fit without any wobble on the seat.
Interesting curves. Having wrapped my own SoCal rods as a kid, reel seats were always optional. I got accustomed to having the reels clamped without a seat. I am still not big on reel seats. If I do put them on,(had to for the thin knife jigging rods) they are lightweight spinning reel rod holders rather than heavy-duty ones that add more weight to a conventional rod setup.