Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
jbl_91762

Islander Mother Kayak trip at Cat

Watched the Islander unload at Catalina. I asked one of the gents why here and not at SCI. Was told it was too windy over there so to salvage a trip they went to Cat.

Bummer for those guys hoping for a killer YT bite but hope they caught some vs just Bass and Barracuda.

Always wanted to try that trip but probably wont ever now as I have my boat to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_101407.jpg (87.0 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 20220702_101418.jpg (101.9 KB, 109 views)
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:51 PM   #2
fishnfoool

That's B.S. This trip should have been canceled. With boats, you can handle some wind. With advanced weather reports, they knew that the kayaks could not handle that wind and still left the docks.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
PapaDave

Pretty hard to cancel a trip like that. First, they invested some cash into getting the ship ready, would be a big loss. Second, forecasts are not real accurate, last Wednesday the forecast was for strong winds out at OS, but it was wrong, very nice weather. Third, there are yellowtail and WSB at Catalina, even on the front side, I'm sure they will find some. Fourth, I'd much prefer fishing in an area that's relatively calm then fighting the wind and waves in a kayak, or even the boat. I've seen what SCI can be like when it's windy, not fun. And last but not least, it's fun to catch fish regardless of the species.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
Rock Hopper

I'm on the 3.5 day leaving on Wednesday. I hope conditions are a little better for that trip.
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:23 AM   #5
DanaPT

Based on my experience and what I hear....this trip, dare I say, is false advertisement.

Should be called a catalina trip with a goal to get to SCI if winds permit.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:33 AM   #6
Salty

Would love to hear how they made out on that trip. It's been a bucket-list item for a bit, but the more I hear about it, the more it seems like a pipe dream. Been to SCI about 7-8 times this year so far on the boat and of those times, only 1 or 2 of them seemed like conditions would be decent on a kayak. S wind has been an issue on both sides of the islands the past few times I've been. But the fishing has been getting better and better
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #7
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Based on my experience and what I hear....this trip, dare I say, is false advertisement.

Should be called a catalina trip with a goal to get to SCI if winds permit.
These trips have always been to San Clemente, not a false ad, just a change for this trip. I would also like to hear how the trip went. That being said, I would be interested in a kayak mothership trip to Catalina, assuming they can handle PA's again.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:09 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Pretty hard to cancel a trip like that. First, they invested some cash into getting the ship ready, would be a big loss. Second, forecasts are not real accurate, last Wednesday the forecast was for strong winds out at OS, but it was wrong, very nice weather. Third, there are yellowtail and WSB at Catalina, even on the front side, I'm sure they will find some. Fourth, I'd much prefer fishing in an area that's relatively calm then fighting the wind and waves in a kayak, or even the boat. I've seen what SCI can be like when it's windy, not fun. And last but not least, it's fun to catch fish regardless of the species.
Agree. Fishing is a risk for all parties involved and nobody can control the weather. Catalina may not have the volume of Clemente, but It still holds some quality fish. Better to go there than forfeit a deposit. Too bad the ferry system does not allow transporting kayaks.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote