Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #1
JohnMckroidJr

Kayak fish of the week June 13th-20th 2022

COBIA

No kayak fishing last week, so to keep these posts rolling, I have dug up a photo of my first – Cobia (Rachycentron canadum) AKA black kingfish, black salmon, ling, lemonfish, crabeater, prodigal son, codfish, and black bonito. They grow to be up to 172lbs, but a nice one is anyone that’s a keeper (33” long or bigger) in SE Florida. I have seen some giants off Yemen while anchored on a ship, but locally anything over 40lbs is considered a monster.

Cobias are notorious for coming alongside the vessel before they are played out, and then going crazy when gaffed. There are many stories about the Cobia that got away at the kayak. Including the one in the photo above.

Once onboard brain spikes are prudent to make sure it does not flop out of one’s hands during a photo.

In many areas of Florida, they are found by looking for turtles, rays or sharks which Cobia like to swim and feed shallow with along beaches. They are often taken by sight casting a jig head. Had my buddy been nearby a cast with a jighead might have taken the follower in the above photo.

Off Ft. Lauderdale Cobia are not that commonly found compared to other areas of Florida, the Gulf, and up the East Coast. The ones I have taken have all been deepwater surprise catches on live goggle eyes or vertical jigs.

Cobia has a texture similar to chicken and is excellent for eating. Some commercially farmed Ecuadorian Cobia escaped and have been sighted off Panama where they are considered an invasive species – look out SoCal!

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 06-24-2022 at 05:03 AM.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:39 AM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
I don't think you could do any better job...

Of covering up from blocking 🚫 uv rays
Then your doing, good 👍 job for you.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Mahigeer

Thanks for the post.

That is one loaded kayak.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:50 PM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Some of the best fish I ever ate was cooked like that on the grill....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
COBIA

No kayak fishing last week, so to keep these posts rolling, I have dug up a photo of my first – Cobia (Rachycentron canadum) AKA black kingfish, black salmon, ling, lemonfish, crabeater, prodigal son, codfish, and black bonito. They grow to be up to 172lbs, but a nice one is anyone that’s a keeper (33” long or bigger) in SE Florida. I have seen some giants off Yemen while anchored on a ship, but locally anything over 40lbs is considered a monster.

Cobias are notorious for coming alongside the vessel before they are played out, and then going crazy when gaffed. There are many stories about the Cobia that got away at the kayak. Including the one in the photo above.

Once onboard brain spikes are prudent to make sure it does not flop out of one’s hands during a photo.

In many areas of Florida, they are found by looking for rays or sharks which like to swim and feed shallow along beaches. They are often taken by sight casting a jig head. Had my buddy been nearby a cast with a jighead might have taken the follower in the above photo.

Off Ft. Lauderdale Cobia are not that commonly found compared to other areas of Florida, the Gulf, and up the East Coast. The ones I have taken have all been deepwater surprise catches on live goggle eyes or vertical jigs.

Cobia has a texture similar to chicken and is excellent for eating. Some commercially farmed Ecuadorian Cobia escaped and have been sighted off Panama where they are considered an invasive species – look out SoCal!
And it was broom tail grouper or gulf grouper how does the Cobia compare I never tasted Cobia before.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:40 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Of covering up from blocking 🚫 uv rays
Then your doing, good 👍 job for you.
Thanks Mitch. My efforts to stay protected are a result of a visit to MD Anderson's Cancer Clinic back in the 90's. I had Clark's level 2 melanoma removed, and seeing some of the other patients with terminal conditions profoundly motivated me to stay protected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Thanks for the post.

That is one loaded kayak.
Thanks Hashim, Some say it's a kayak on steroids. I like to bring a lot of stuff whenever the weather is calm. Good luck with your trip to Turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
And it was broom tail grouper or gulf grouper how does the Cobia compare I never tasted Cobia before.
I have never had Broomtail, so can't say for sure. Having had multiple other species of grouper in Florida, I can say that there is variance in the flavor, and richness of different species. So Far Gag Grouper is my favorite.

Cobia is a fish that you probably would not like as much as the Broomtail Grouper. It's good, but I put it in the category that one needs to develop a taste for. Like raw tuna or lobster, the first time you try it, you may not be that keen about it.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote