Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #1
chibosader
Junior

Looking for legal spots to launch in Orange County

I just got my new kayak on Wednesday this week, a Vibe Shearwater 125. Thing looks absolutely gorgeous. I am still waiting on the pedal drive to get here, but I was hoping to take it out this weekend. I have some things to do in the afternoon, or I'd make the drive down to San Diego, apparently that is where the sane people live.

Does anyone know a good parking/launching spot that is technically legal in Orange County? It is a lot closer of a drive for me for a half day out. Any help would be appreciated. Not particular about the fishing, I really just wanna get out there to test out the new yak. My thanks for any information you can provide... even if its just that I have no hope.
chibosader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #2
dgarland10

Huntington Harbor might be a good option
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
chibosader
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarland10 View Post
Huntington Harbor might be a good option
I'll definitely check it out. Hopefully there is a good spot to park and launch from that they haven't closed for some unknown reason. Thanks.

I know Newsom is losing his mind with all the orange county beaches, so I just assumed the harbors and everything would be closed as well.
chibosader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
dgarland10

There is a little spot at HH just south of Edinger with pretty good access. Might be a good place to put in
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Sculpinator
Junior

I launch from the coast guard station in Newport harbor all the time. Easy free parking and a little beach to launch from. Right now you have to park on the street and wheel your kayak over (less than 100 feet still). Now that fishing is allowed Im most likely going Monday if you would like to join me!
Sculpinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
spudleydoright
Junior

Lower Castaways Park in Newport at the Coast Hwy and Dover. A long paddle to the open water, but you have the upper bay to the left and open fishing to the right. Cops don't care about launching there.
spudleydoright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:01 AM   #7
shrkb8t
Junior

Not OC, Dana Point Launch Ramp is open, i'm in the situation, purchased a new boat and bixpy motor i needed to test...
shrkb8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
DanaPT

Yup dp boat launch. Go early on weekends.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #9
tak100
Recruit

Los Alamitos Bay is a good place to test out a new rig. I think the boat launch is closed or at least it was but there is plenty of residential parking that will not be closed and you are allowed to cross the beach to launch.

No waves so easy launch and landing.

Lots of dink bay bass as well but I usually paddle out to the break water also known as the wall if I fish that side.

It is just north of Seal Beach.

Green areas are good launch spots. The blue is the normal spot but I am not sure if the parking lot and launch ramp are open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Los Alamitos Bay.jpg (130.8 KB, 185 views)
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
Los Alamitos Bay is a good place to test out a new rig. I think the boat launch is closed or at least it was but there is plenty of residential parking that will not be closed and you are allowed to cross the beach to launch.

No waves so easy launch and landing.

Lots of dink bay bass as well but I usually paddle out to the break water also known as the wall if I fish that side.

It is just north of Seal Beach.

Green areas are good launch spots. The blue is the normal spot but I am not sure if the parking lot and launch ramp are open.
Are non motorized vessels permitted to leave the bay in Alamitos? I would love to get out to those rigs that are just off shore, but I understand Huntington wont allow kayaks to leave, wondering is Alamitos is the same.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #11
Jkfishing

Newport Beach by the pier

Newport Beach by the pier parking lot and beach is open. Check out Surfline Newport Beach north side pier you will see surfers in the water. Be sure to pay for parking to avoid ticket. I surfed there last Friday.

Kids beach was closed last weekend not sure about this weekend.

I think you can park on the street parking by kids beach area and launch in the harbor and paddle/peddle out the harbor.
Jkfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #12
tak100
Recruit

You are supposed to stay 300 feet away from the oil rigs and piers but you can fish the oil islands in the harbor or the breakwater.

I have never been hassled going out the harbor entrance at Los Alamitos. You just need to be careful when crossing the channel. It can get busy on the weekends.

You will get regular waves once you get past the jetty. I would take a practice paddle to get used to your kayak before you make a trip to the open ocean. If start to see white caps start heading in. It usually only gets worse later in the day.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:02 PM   #13
Rocketfish

So to be clear. As of today, 5/6/20, are we ALLOWED to go out on our kayaks in HH or AM? Given the stay at home order and all.

What about fishing? If we can go out on our yaks, fishing on the yak is allowed too?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
soyaky
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Are non motorized vessels permitted to leave the bay in Alamitos? I would love to get out to those rigs that are just off shore, but I understand Huntington wont allow kayaks to leave, wondering is Alamitos is the same.
Yes, you can leave the bay into open water. I was out this past weekend. There were paddleboarders that went to the break wall. LBPD even passed by on their boat. No hassles, just a friendly wave.
soyaky is offline   Reply With Quote