Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #1
FlyinRyan

Islander trip

Rough seas on the way out was an understatement, I biffed it hard on the deck during the swells with the new coat of paint on deck first night. Tried to crash out around 10, hard to sleep while levitating in bed for five hours! Finally did and slept through my alarm only to wake up to the last call for breakfast!!! Scarfed some pancakes and sausage and launched around 8 to some breezy conditions, fishing was great. Several quality calicos and it was time to fly line a sardine on the slow troll. Two bonito and many raked baits later it was time to try a bit on the bottom. Pounded the bottom till lunch for nada. Burgers for lunch and back on the water. Fist two fly lined sardines were picked up by bonitos before I could put the rod in the holder so I switched to the dropper loop and again in seconds was hooked up on my only yellow on the trip. Went out deep to check out some boils which turned out to be a seal with someone's lost yellowtail, drifted back in doing a bit of rock fishing an found a few Boccaccio. Finished of the day back at the shore line for calicos. Good food, good fishing and good company! Have to do the 2.5 day trip next time for sure!
Attached Images

FlyinRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
Denis_Ruso

Sounds like you had a great trip albeit the rough start. Didn't throw any iron??
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #3
FlyinRyan

Bashing my elbow sucked and not much sleep either but the ride was great, if you like roller coasters which I do. Threw the iron a few times but it seemed like it was mostly bones on the surface and bait was working fine. Between hook ups I pretty much sat back with a beer and enjoy the scenery, never been to SCI. Time on the water is time out of the rat race!
Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
Rock Hopper

Thanks for the report. I'm heading out on the 2.5 day June 11th trip.

2.5 days are fun. 3.5 days are better! Last year we had slow fishing for the first two days and then absolutely slayed the goats on the final day.
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
Rock Hopper

How was the bait? Any macks or live squid?
Rock Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
FlyinRyan

No they were all dines at the time.