Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
theluckypig

superman saves the day!

greg andrew is superman.

there are already many documented events that prove his amazing powers, this is just another...

my part of the story goes like this:

i was fishing with the boys last week, 8-10 of us on the water, suddenly one of the new guys flips. i'm close, so i paddle over to assist, but by the time i get there he has righted himself and all is well. well, i start to paddle back to my spot when i hear, splash-ker-plunk... i look over, my new gloomis rod and sealine are in the water! i quickly stab my paddle blade in to try and catch where my reel and rod meet... i miss... my rod, my reel, going... going... gone. i watch my rod sink on the fishfinder. i suddenly think to press "mark" on my gps and plan to bring my stuff back up! i rig up an iron and start trolling. i make a dozen passes... nothing... i resigned myself to the reality of the situation... i've just donated $350 to davey jones's locker... not my first donation, it will not my last... but damn it stung! add to that, i realized that i had lost my wallet in the restroom of 711 in the wee hours of the morning on my way to the spot... double ouch!

of course i did not tell my wife.

well a few days later, i'm texting with the boys, greg is mentioning the benefits of a sensitive rod tip when catching squid, and i chime in with my sulking, "i used to have a rod like that...". greg asks, if i marked the spot. i responded yes and he said, "give me the numbers and he'll take a look the next time i'm in the area..." ok... (he'll never find it... but thanks)

as i'm getting the numbers off my fishfinder, my wife asks, "what are you doing?" !!!think quick!!! "ah... i'm getting the coordinates of my last wsb... greg asked for them..." my wife knows greg... i get a look, i know she's thinking, 'that's BS, if anything, you'd be asking him for the numbers...' but she says nothing.

this morning i get a call from greg, "i have a gloomis rod and sealine reel, that "might" be yours..." superman did it! really! it is amazing! he is amazing!

my wife notices my excitement... now i have to confess about what had happened... she said, "i knew it", something wasn't right!"

well, greg has been extremely generous with me on many occasions (as with most that know him) none more that in this situation.

tech savvy,smarts, generosity, and tenacity... greg you are the "super" man!

(side note: i got my wallet back too... a good guy delivered it to my home...)

damn, i'm a lucky pig

Last edited by theluckypig; 08-03-2013 at 08:21 PM.
theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
TheBentRod

OutStanding

Greg,

I for one will have your back if you need anything. This was a very unselfish act!

James, Thanks for sharing.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Drake

Thats one of the best stories I have read, well done Greg!
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

just curious, HOW did he get it back ?

is he a scuba diver ?
or did he pull it up with a line & big treble hook, etc ?

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
wade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobie-Pedaller View Post
just curious, HOW did he get it back ?
did he pull it up with a line & big treble hook, etc ?
Awesome story!
Hail to the Master GA!
He probably got it by downsizing to a mosquito hook

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
steveooo

Way to help a brother out Greg. What a cool story
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
GregAndrew

Will go into more detail tomorrow but, it was a GoPro and a glow iron that did the trick. That and a bit of luck.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
jorluivil

Can you find my missing sock?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
absolutely amazing!!!
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Greg is one of the coolest dudes you can meet on the water. Your kayak has a leak, he will loan you his. Your radio dies, he will give you one of his. Not to mention the numerous fishing lessons.

Greg, you are the man.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Will go into more detail tomorrow but, it was a GoPro and a glow iron that did the trick. That and a bit of luck.
I'm guessing GoPro Wifi App on your phone with live view?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Close Drake, but you don't actually get a "Live View" with the app. My thinking, was that the problem was to find out the orientation of the rod on the bottom so that I was dragging my snaggers in the best direction. So I intended to make a few short drifts around the mark that James gave me to spot the rod. After each drift I would check the video with the new app on my phone. When I spotted the rod I would start a pattern perpendicular to the rod over the route. I was going to mark the starting and ending point of each drift to keep the rod orientation relative to something. So, on the first 3 minute drift I get the first 30 seconds of this video (btw: I tied on a Megabait to drag behind the camera, but the hooks were not big enough).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpcINQqQPw

Needless to say, that was pretty damn lucky. So then I start my perfect pattern to cover the ground meticulously.

Did I mention that the wind and current were up? lol Anyway, within 30 minutes of spotting the rod my glow iron got the lucky pick, and up came the rod. I had the Megabait on the downrigger, my Squid jig on one side and the Iron on the other. That GoPro App is pretty kewl, and would be even better if I could see my damn phone screen in the sunlight.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Close Drake, but you don't actually get a "Live View" with the app. My thinking, was that the problem was to find out the orientation of the rod on the bottom so that I was dragging my snaggers in the best direction. So I intended to make a few short drifts around the mark that James gave me to spot the rod. After each drift I would check the video with the new app on my phone. When I spotted the rod I would start a pattern perpendicular to the rod over the route. I was going to mark the starting and ending point of each drift to keep the rod orientation relative to something. So, on the first 3 minute drift I get the first 30 seconds of this video (btw: I tied on a Megabait to drag behind the camera, but the hooks were not big enough).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGpcINQqQPw

Needless to say, that was pretty damn lucky. So then I start my perfect pattern to cover the ground meticulously.

Did I mention that the wind and current were up? lol Anyway, within 30 minutes of spotting the rod my glow iron got the lucky pick, and up came the rod. I had the Megabait on the downrigger, my Squid jig on one side and the Iron on the other. That GoPro App is pretty kewl, and would be even better if I could see my damn phone screen in the sunlight.

Great job! That's a true friend.

On my Android App, I can turn the camera on, and watch it live through my phone screen with about a 3-4 second delay depending on the distance. You can't be recording at the same time though.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Pretty awesome, Greg how do you get the camera to photo depth and keep it there?

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
Deamon

Greg Andrews...I am thoroughly impressed. THAT was well done. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #16
CKallday71

I love the fact that I keep running into REALLY cool people the deeper I get into this hobby. The same, unfortunately, is not true of some of my other hobbies.

Way to be a Good Guy Greg!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #17
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

That's amazing, Greg!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
GregAndrew

It was more entertaining than most of my recent fishing outings. It also gave me a good push to get the App working correctly. Bob, I use a 4# downrigger ball on a downrigger to keep it at depth. Drake, the delay was what I was talking about. But the WiFi does not work thru water either.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #19
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

Greg,

now that's a fairly advanced use of multiple technologies AND equipment there.

very impressive technical/mechanical achievement !!!
as well as a very cool gesture on your part.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #20
StinkyMatt

Damn Greg......You are a LUCKY SOB!

Take me to VEGAS!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote