Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
LSmoot

Best way to secure rods in the surf?

Hey guys, I'm interested to see how you all secure your rods in the yak when launching through the surf. I'm trying to get my yak ready for my first trip through the surf, but not sure the best way to make sure the rod is secure in the kayak, and not at risk from falling our or breaking if for some reason the yak flips during launch. Thanks!
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
oneyedeer

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=leash

plus lots of goodies in the innovation tread
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

First off, what kind of yak do you have?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
taggermike

This might not be a direct answer to securing rods but its a great place to start befor your first surf launch with gear. Maybe you have already done this but if not give it a few hours. Take just you and your kayak out in to the surf. Paddle out, surf in, get side ways, wipe out, practice getting back on to your kayak in and outside the surf. Get to know the feel of your kayak in the surf and learn how it will handle different situations. Get a feel for the timing of the waves, practice your sprint paddle, build up some confidence. When you dont have to worry about gear the surf can be fun on your kayak. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
LSmoot

467echo, I have a Hobie Quest 13.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
LSmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
This might not be a direct answer to securing rods but its a great place to start befor your first surf launch with gear. Maybe you have already done this but if not give it a few hours. Take just you and your kayak out in to the surf. Paddle out, surf in, get side ways, wipe out, practice getting back on to your kayak in and outside the surf. Get to know the feel of your kayak in the surf and learn how it will handle different situations. Get a feel for the timing of the waves, practice your sprint paddle, build up some confidence. When you dont have to worry about gear the surf can be fun on your kayak. Mike
Great idea. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
LSmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=leash

plus lots of goodies in the innovation tread
Awesome, Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
wildwing621
Fish Whhhisperer

if your yak has a cargo storage area in the hull you can use that. It is a bit of a hassle getting them back out but they are guaranteed to be safe in the event of a capsize
wildwing621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSmoot View Post
Hey guys, I'm interested to see how you all secure your rods in the yak when launching through the surf. I'm trying to get my yak ready for my first trip through the surf, but not sure the best way to make sure the rod is secure in the kayak, and not at risk from falling our or breaking if for some reason the yak flips during launch. Thanks!
If you have the ability to store them below deck I would say that is the best way. If you don't have below deck storage for them you can also lay them down bundled together fixing something over the tips so that does not get messed up. If that's not an option then make sure you have very well secured leashes connected to ANYTHING you don't want going in the drink. Trust me you cannot have too many leashes.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
LSmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
If you have the ability to store them below deck I would say that is the best way. If you don't have below deck storage for them you can also lay them down bundled together fixing something over the tips so that does not get messed up. If that's not an option then make sure you have very well secured leashes connected to ANYTHING you don't want going in the drink. Trust me you cannot have too many leashes.
Thanks. I'll probably end up laying them down and tying them to the yak somehow. Not enough room below I don't think.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I have a Quest and go through surf all the time. Two or three 7' rods inside, no problem. You have to practice putting them in through the hatch.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #12
dorado50

a little commomn sense goes a long way.... i know you can figure it out!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
a little commomn sense goes a long way.... i know you can figure it out!
common sense and bungee cords, lots and lots of bungee cords

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
LSmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
I have a Quest and go through surf all the time. Two or three 7' rods inside, no problem. You have to practice putting them in through the hatch.

Huh, I tried once and they didn't seem to fit. I'll give it another shot.