Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Where do you put your FF unit on your OK w/ Rod pod?

I recently got a prowler with a rod pod, and I'm really digging it so far.
I really like that I was able to install a tiny transducer in the hull recess in one of the scuppers with a small piece of irrigation pipe too.

I figured plenty of people here have considered this and had to live with their decisions. . .

I'm still weighing where to put the head unit for my garmin...

With the Hobie, I've gotten comfortable not needing the rails to be clear for a full paddle stroke, though I have noticed my FF can get in the way there when I'm paddling in/out of the surf zone.

I posted a photo here https://imgur.com/a/v7m6lEq with two spots I'm considering... Weighing the pros and cons of both... Both seem to have trade-offs.
I realize the little hatch up front is designed for a FF, but I've tried kayaks with mounts up there and I hate it. Can't reach it, and can't see it. Plus the ram mount I like to use doesn't fit it.

Spot 1 seems the most viable, as it's far forward enough that it's out of my paddle reach, and I can swing it inward with the ram (pictured) mount over my leg while I'm paddling to make it extra out of the way.
I *do* have to reach forward to fiddle with it, but not by much.
Only thing I'm not crazy about is running power cable out anywhere near it with a little hobie passthrough grommet.
I was even considering running the transducer cable behind the leg brace, though I'm not sure if it would rub on it too much.

Spot 2 I don't especially like... having my electronics and cables running into the lid for the rod pod just seems like a mess, though it feels like the most convenient spot for using the FF... No reach, and minimal glare from the angle. Small screen as close as possible. I'd also tried mounting a RAM ball there on my scupper without the rod pod, and it just makes it hard to shimmy up to the hatch.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
CaliHalikiller

I run mine on what I think is a spot dedicated.to FF the spot that has a flip up cover I've drilled a hole just big enough for transducer cord and power cord fitted with a rubber seal I run my transducer threw the scupper hole located my my right foot I used some HD plastic pipping drilled holes threw it attached to the strap which secures FF sun cover surf launch all the time never a issue I keep my wires and battery in a plastic lined bag and which is located under rod pod easy access if you need to get to it
CaliHalikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
GregAndrew

I mount mine right on top of the Sonar Shield, with a couple of screws to wingnuts (for fast on and off).

I run my wires into the hull thru a Cable Clam just underneath the cover. Drill holes, in the rubber piece, about the size of the cables you are running thru them. Slice from the edge of the rubber to each hole to get your cable in place. The action of the Cable Clam will tighten everything up to seal. My transducer cable goes in and then back out to keep most of the wiring inside, out of the way. It is all zip tied above my OK battery bag.

For next level, you can install one of the giant transducers on the bottom too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sonar Mount.jpg (36.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg Sonar Wiring.jpg (40.0 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg Berley Pro.jpg (36.8 KB, 95 views)
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
FullFlavorPike

I have that boat. Sonar is set up in the little dedicated sonar spot, and I don't think it's a problem to reach or see.

Anyways, you don't want to use that, so I would not put it on spot 2. I go in and out of the rod pod to get stuff from inside the hull, and I think it would be a PITA to have a sonar mounted to the pod.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
BenCantrell

Mine's mounted in front of the pod. Agreed that you wouldn't want it on the actual pod. I do have to stretch a bit to reach the buttons, but it works.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
ProfessorLongArms

Thanks everybody! Looks like a pretty clear consensus. The previous owner had actually put a Geartrak on the kayak just to the side of the FF hatch, so rather than put any more holes in the kayak, I’m just going to stick with that spot since it’s just as close.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
SoCalEDC

Under the sonar shield is the move here.

Also there is whats all a "Mod Pod" that has some holes in it and a couple of slots for tackle as well as fish rulers in inches and cms that i think makes an excellent upgrade over the original rod pod hatch cover. They came standard on the later model tridents, may be worth looking into. See below for an idea of what im talking about. Those holes are for scotty gear

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-878a...=2&imbypass=on
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote