Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

6/11 Catalina 3/4 day mothership

What a great trip at an incredible price. We loaded up the Pacific Adventure at 6 AM, got some fat sardines and headed to the front side of Catalina. I took advantage of the free meal included and had a breakfast burrito and coffee on the ride over. Dropped the kayaks in and we were fishing by 9 AM Fished an area covering about 3 miles of coastline, south of the isthmus. We had 1 spearfisherman on and 13 hook and liners.

I put a dine low and one high and yoyoed between 60 and 120. One calico on the iron was all that came on artificials for me. Picked up a 4 pound bonie pretty quickly on the flyline. Many bonie pick up and drops through out the morning, only made one other stick. birds never balled up and only boils I saw were calicos along the kelp line. Fished halibut for a while in 25 feet. could see the batrays cruising along the bottom, there were a few of those hooked by others. Heard of some short buts caught along with sheephead, bass and most got into the boneys.

Great weather as the breeze pushed us along the island, I did very little paddling as the boat repositioned several times. I refilled my plano (kept it simple) once and had plenty of bait all morning. We managed to fish 5 hours, loading up at 2PM, perfect leisure session. Double cheeseburger and a Coke for the ride home. I won the jackpot by an oz or two and happily gave it to the crew. They did a great job on their maiden voyage. I signed on for the next one, along with a few others already.

I rented a kayak to a guy who had never kayak fished. Asked what he thought on the trip home and he said it was a blast. I'll be bringing a kayak for the crew and captain to try next trip and will set up rentals for anyone interested.(I plan to go on every trip that runs, every other Wednesday) Kayak with rod holders, seat, paddle and PFD for $25 brought to the boat. Trip cost will be $75 and includes one meal (first trip was $65 for an introductory rate.) This is a killer deal!!! Next one is set for the 25th and is filling up, limited to 25. Call LA Harbor Sportfishing to get on board. (310)547-9916