Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
young mola

skunk report cbad lagoon

hey guys nothng too excitin hit the lagoon today for about 2 hrs at sunset didnt get anything. last time i caught a short hali so i figured is try the same strategy (drift along dragin some bait while fishin a jig) and hopefully get another. showed up to the general area and threw out to start my drift.. but there was like no wind or current. i pretty much kept floatin around in the same spot. i figured maybe id get a little drift goin by paddlin and driftin a little but couldnt get it quite right. saw some bait hittin here and there so i figured id try to catch one and see what happens. but then it hit me, how the hell do i make bait in the lagoon from a yak? can do it from shore no problem but im still a beginner an the yak and the treble hooks and smelt flyin around doesnt sound too comforting to me quite yet. so 2 questions if anyones got some input to share... what do you do when theres not much wind or current and you want to drift? abandon it and change your method? go home and drink a beer? (tried the first but settled for the second) and how do you go about catching bait in the lagoon from a yak? any input will be greatly appriciated as would the directions to your secret halibut hole
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Bpcode3
Angler

Quote:
Originally Posted by young mola View Post
how do you go about catching bait in the lagoon from a yak?
I'm sure there are gonna be several posts on how to obtain bait and ways to do it.(Most obvious being finding a Bait Barge ) As for myself, I have never fished that lagoon, but in most cases, whether or not fishing SD areas like LJ or the Bay, or fishing little farther north, area's without a bait barge, get yourself a Sabiki set up or make one like I did out of some PVC and an older Saltwater reel. Sabiki's have several hooks and sizes depending on brands. I've caught bait tanks full without having to put anything on the ends, but you can put a little piece of cut squid, or even better, a little bit of Uni-Butter on the little feathered hooks just kill it. Chumming the area could help as well. Drop it down to the bottom with a torpedo weight, and make a slow retrieval with an occasional jig here and there and you are good to go. Just watch the fingers, hands and arms when you remove bait from hooks, Sabiki's seem to tangle with ease and with the slightest breeze and will snag ya.
Good luck out there.

Good Info here

http://www.plasticnavy.com/make-a-sabiki-rod.htm

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...plate=livebait

http://www.ehow.com/how_4530271_catching-bait-fish.html
Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
deepdvr

Hey Young Mola I live nearby in Cbad and if you ever want to fish it send me a PM. I'm by no means the expert but I've tried most of what you are asking.

For me live bait that you can catch there (smelt) are really too small and too much of a pain to deal with. If you want to catch smelt either look for bait balls on your finder in the main channel between the 2 bridges or work the edges of the eel grass in fairly shallow water 5-8'. You'll need to go very small on the sabiki, size 14 or smaller if it exists. You may want to consider going to the O'side bait barge and buying the $5 shore scoop of dines or chovies. Bring a bucket with 1 or even better 2 battery powered aerators and use them.

Right now, I believe its mainly bass season and hence you probably can catch the same on plastics. In a few months when the halibut are back on the chew, the live bait will be beneficial.

For bays, its all about tidal movement. You can catch fish on non-movement but working the ripping tide is really the way to go. Usually incoming is better than outgoing. If you want to simulate a drift just long-line. Drop your lure/bait down and paddle away a good distance while in free spool. Then stop and start your reeling (preferably uphill over structure or past structure).

Good luck!

Eric
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Wait until Apr/May, they will come in...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Try bouncing a scampi directly under the railroad bridge at slack tide.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
joyjiggin'

Hey, thanks for the tips, guys! Eric and I just moved to Cbad and didn't even know we could fish there. Maybe we'll see you on the water.
joyjiggin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
young mola

you can take your yak in the two most inland lagoons but not in the one closest to the beach just shore fishing there. see ya on the water!
young mola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
deepdvr

Don't forget that you technically need to purchase the lagoon permit from the city of Carlsbad.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
NextBite

thanks for the report