Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #41
janines.fishtales@cox.net

As always FFY, good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
Sounds like you did your homework.
I have some thoughts on some of your concerns.
Don't forget sunscreen!!!
You might want to pack some reel oil/grease for emergencies (optional if you know how to service reels).
If your not going to 'use' braid then why use it as backing (not meant to be sarcastic!), just go straight mono with a fluoro leader. Why take a chance on losing a fish on an unnecessary (IMO) knot? Plus with the price of braid, why pay for something that you don't plan on relying on? Plus it will take twice as much (or so) to fill as mono!
Also in one of your previous comments, if your going to use Mustads then I'd suggest buying a hook file. The reason most people will purchase the "Gucci" hooks is because they come out of the package needle sharp.
Do the fingernail test (old school) on a couple of hooks. Lightly stick a hook into a fingernail and pull (preferably thumb) and see if it "sticks" if it doesn't then you need to sharpen it until it does. When you do use the triangle style of shape.
I learned to do this decades ago and now since Mustad 34007 SS hooks are my go to fly hooks I keep one handy in my tackle box (7691ss are also my favorites for my single hook replacements for my jigs).
Here's a title search for a 4" hook file on eBay (I just bought one!).
4" Hook File W/ Handle High-Carbon Steel Cutting Edge +STANLESS ICE PICK. Offer 7.50, it should be accepted (mine was)!
Just my thoughts,
FFY
As far as why braid, I have it already and I will try it on a couple of rods. But I agree, if I am comfy with mono, then mono it will be. I will look into those Mustads you are talking about. Thank you again, I depend on the good advice for such a once in a lifetime trip! Means a lot to me, and I love this community for just this reason!

Janine
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #42
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
As far as why braid, I have it already and I will try it on a couple of rods. But I agree, if I am comfy with mono, then mono it will be. I will look into those Mustads you are talking about. Thank you again, I depend on the good advice for such a once in a lifetime trip! Means a lot to me, and I love this community for just this reason!

Janine
Janine, I just want to clarify the issues of hooks. I wasn't recommending the 34007 SS hooks as bait hooks. I use them for tying flies.
Personally I exclusively use (the "Gucci") Owner Mutu or Super Mutu hooks for bait. I rarely use J-hooks anymore as the mortality rate for gut hooked fish is very poor and circle hooks normally catch in the corner of the mouth. So if I catch a fish I don't feel is big enough to keep I can release it fairly confidant that a release won't be fatal.

I also was going through one of my Long Range boxes and remembered that during an El Niño year ('83 I think) I was on a 7-day trip and we ran down south and ran into a school of Wahoo mixed in with some Tuna .
I lost a number of fish on bait and a couple jigs , so now I keep at least one spool of single strand wire (45# for 40-60# bait/jig tossing) and a couple welded rings in my box. You might want to see if any boats have run into any further north than normal otherwise don't worry about it. (This was just an afterthought!)
Other than that I wish you tight lines, all day action/stops and hefty limits,
FFY.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #43

D Day!

Again boys, thanks for all the advice. My trip takes off tomorrow at 1100. I know it will be a blast. I feel like I am prepared thanks to all of you. I have been putting lines on reels, packing tackle, packing everything for six days. If I don't have it, oh well! I will report back soon...

Janine
Old 09-21-2014, 07:28 PM   #44
momo fish

Good luck Janine!! Put those reels to good use
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #45
svendawg

Tuna shuffle

Get ready to do the tuna shuffle.
Good luck and have a great trip.
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #46
T-Rex

With warm water and fish still pushing north I bet you're going to have a fantastic trip! Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:49 AM   #47

Baja or bust!

Next item on the "bucket list"...

BAJA OR BUST!

J
Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #48
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You are on Mermaid, just let me know when.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-22-2014 at 11:38 AM.
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #49
YTHunter
Carlisle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carp View Post
I have had luck w/
double uni (spectra to Fluro)
Palomar spectra to hook.
x2
YTHunter is offline   Reply With Quote