Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
Oolie
Headshots Only

preparing squid

this is how you prep, or clean a squid.
http://how2heroes.com/videos/techniq...to-clean-squid

last night i did it like this, but left the whole tube intact with fins, i then stuffed it with imitation crab, and did it two ways, battered and fried and dipped in lemon/garlic butter, and soaked in teriyaki for an hour then grilled with garlic.

tonight i'm gonna do the heads with roma tomato chunks and marinara sauce, and i'm gonna serve it over pasta.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Jimmyz123

Dude that sounds good. That was a cool video.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
bigbarrels

Nice!
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Oolie
Headshots Only

to make it easier and quicker, i get the quill separated from the tube about 1.5 inches in, then i grab the siphon and quill and twist three times and pull the insides all out at once.
and when removing the skin, start at the skirt of the tube.

Last edited by Oolie; 06-30-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #5
wade

really cool thanks for posting!i enjoy the heads/tentacles more than the body rings or steak cuts tenderized..Its a shame none of the restaurants I frequent, serve the heads, only the body..get some.......
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
really cool thanks for posting!i enjoy the heads/tentacles more than the body rings or steak cuts tenderized..Its a shame none of the restaurants I frequent, serve the heads, only the body..get some.......
how do you prepare them?
Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
j mo

Nice

^ Wade try Via Itlia in Encinitas their fritto misto is chok full o heads and tentacles.

Im sure most would cringe but those little macs esp the spanish make excellent table fair. My Italian mom makes incredible fried macs and chovies. I cant get myself to cook them- go big or go home.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #8
yani

Ollie,

I hope you're using top notch olive oil.

And, when cooking squid, you either cook
it for 1-2 mins max or 1hr.

So for your pasta dish, add the squid at the last
minute, before you serve. Cook only for alittle,
otherwise it will be chewy.

Keep up the good work.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
ken aguilar

Now I'm hungry!
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Oolie
Headshots Only

the plan was to sear the heads for 20 seconds, add tomatoes for a minute, and then stir in marinara sauce.

this morning i was made aware of the 60 - 60 rule.

thanks!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
yani

Ollie,

I made squid with marainara sauce plenty of times.
I've even put my squid in a meat grinder, then
added it to the sauce.

My recommendation is this: Don't sear, then add tomato
then stir in marainara, just add the squid into the
marainara just before you're done. Cook for as little
as possible. I'm glad you like to cook. You'll get more
sex that way.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
You should try going to Tapas Picaso in Hillcrest, my aunt makes a great house salad that has fried squid tentacles. My Aunt and Uncle opened it about 18 years ago. Great food.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
wade

I will try both places out soon thanks!

When the skunk is on I prepare it like this!

but when times a good.. MORE TENTACLES PLEASE!!!
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
SGV Rookie

Little Hot dogs

I love the culinary skills in the Hot Dog dish, I might do that with my Daughters tofu dogs for some imitation Squid dish. Gotta love Big Waters Edge for all the yummy fish preparation ideas.

Thanks for sharing

Dave
SGV Rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
cowboybill

Too Damn funny!

Wade, you are cracking me up with the Hot Dogs cut up like Squid!

Oolie, glad you are able to enjoy the squid so much!

I never cared for squid too much, till I had some out at Bongovanni's Italian out toward Alpine....That is good stuff!!!

Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
lamb

I guess the old gang in the Mediterranean missed out on all these "how to" videos back in the day...

My mother in law taught me how to clean the lil' squid, and she ain't doing all the fancy stuff like the chef in this video.

I cut about 1 inch slice on their belly side closer to the tip - that's where their guts are. Press from the center up and squeeze that crap out. If the eggs are there, leave 'em! Leave the ink in there too! I don't agree with this chef saying that leaving the ink doesn't change the taste. He must have never prepared a real fresh caught squid with an ink sack - commercially harvested squid, frozen and packed, generally doesn't have much ink left in 'em. Leaving the ink does change the taste big time - it gives it that bitter yummy flavor unlike anything else I ate from the sea.

If grilled whole, I don't bother pulling the quill out. It can easily be taken out when served, it nicely sticks out as they shrink a bit. I don't take the beak out neither - just give your guests heads up to watch out for it and not eat it. Eyes are fine too, just ignorer them, don't make eye contact. I don't scrape the skin, neither I scrape the suckers... C'mon, cleaning them is a big enough of a pain without all that. Separating the fins?!? c'mon...

With all that said - I'm with Yani, put some salt and toss 'em whole on a grill, 1 min or so per side. There's a fine line - don't over cook, they'll be chewy! When done, put some quality olive oil + thin sliced garlic & parsley + some lemon core & pepper over them...

They are also great fried - put some salt on the squid. Put about 1/4" of oil, mix of 1/2 olive 1/2 canola oil in the pot. Keep the lid handy, you'll need it as it'll get your kitchen messy. Put the squid in the cold oil (helps minimize the spraying mess) and put it on a medium heat. As it starts frying, reduce the heat. Fry for about 10-12 mins all together, turning them. When almost done, add some water and cook for a few more minutes - that will create pretty good sauce, of very delicate taste, reddish in color if you didn't have much ink left in your squirts, black otherwise.... Delicious!