Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
dafishaman
Junior

Which rod and reel should i get???

I know this will stir the pot for many anglers but im looking to buy a new rod and reel that will handle anything i set my hook in...any ideas on brands? keep in mind that my pockets are not that deep...best rod and reel on a budget...right now i have a penn combo that i picked up as a starter the fierce 6000 ...i know you guys are going to give my s*&t for that but help a fellow yaker out!
dafishaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
oneyedeer

dollar for dollar a used daiwa sealine line sz corresponds to model number 20 =20lb 30= 30lb etc

got a 20 for a buddy of mine that just starting out for only 50bucks and was in great condition

if you want a do everything setup i would go with a sealine 40 pack it with 300 yards of 65lb braid learn the albright special knot and put on any size leader

You can catch almost anything with that reel you just won't feel anything for the smaller fellows
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
dafishaman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
dollar for dollar a used daiwa sealine line sz corresponds to model number 20 =20lb 30= 30lb etc

got a 20 for a buddy of mine that just starting out for only 50bucks and was in great condition

if you want a do everything setup i would go with a sealine 40 pack it with 300 yards of 65lb braid learn the albright special knot and put on any size leader

You can catch almost anything with that reel you just won't feel anything for the smaller fellows
will definitely look into this

thanks Sam-
Old 08-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
taggermike

Hunt around for some decent used gear. Oneye is 100% right about the daiwa sealine. Those things are work horses. Another cheaper old school stand by is the Penn 500. There are plenty of used rods out there too. Seelers and calstars get the nod around so cal and they are great rods but even used ones are kinda steep on a budget. Sabers are nice rods, you can find them used or cheap at Big 5. Ugly stick tigers get little respect locally but they are cheap, tough, and kill fish. I have a buddy that has been using one for years and says when it breaks he'll just buy another. I think he's been saying that for 20 years. Why get shit. I have the smallest sized Penn fierce on a used Quarrow rod that I use in the bay and I love it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
USMCfish

I 2nd the Sealine and also the Penn 500s make a great YAK reel, been sold for many years and landed many large fish... Anyways, the Penn Fierce spinning reel is a nice YAK reel, very smooth for the price and have a nice drag I have 1 paired on a Ugly Stick Tiger its sweet for the cash.
USMCfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
dafishaman
Junior

Thanks taggermike and usmcfish, guess i wouldnt hurt to hit CrAiGs*/*LIst for some used gear...

Sam-
Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
dnichols36

Hit up John "fishaholic" on here. He has great deals on used gear.
dnichols36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
dafishaman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnichols36 View Post
Hit up John "fishaholic" on here. He has great deals on used gear.
will do