Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Ggiannig89

Baja question

I’m considering doing a 4 day trip to Baja end of January. What’s some of you more experienced Baja guys thoughts ona trip solo with a long time female friend? I’m a little uneasy about going down without a caravan but just looking to get some of your guys thoughts. Thinking sea of Cortez side but not totally sure on a itinerary.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Only 4 days you are not getting much further south than L.A. Bay if you are going to spend any amount of time. I don't recommend a low ground clearance vehicle south of San Felipe though. Bring Jackets and warm clothes, weather was just like here last week - cold and windy, especially cold after sunset.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #3
Ggiannig89

Yea I have a 4x4 Tacoma.
I’m more worried about safety I’ve never really traveled south without at least a couple vehicles.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Baja question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
Yea I have a 4x4 Tacoma.

I’m more worried about safety I’ve never really traveled south without at least a couple vehicles.

As long as you think you won’t get lost and are familiar with the roads I wouldn’t worry about it. Bring a full size spare. People go down all the time without a caravan, including myself.

The first trip by yourself might make you a little uneasy, but next time you won’t even have to thing about it.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
Ggiannig89

That’s good to hear. I hope I make it out later this month
Old 01-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
If you have no problems, then "it's no problem." If you run into problems, there are no easy solutions. Once you are south of the border, you are on your own. A caravan with kindred spirits would provide a measure of safety, especially for mechanical breakdowns. However, this won't help much when confronting corrupt "authorities" or hardened criminals.

Mexico is in chaos because of the cartel wars. Corruption is out of control. Because law and order has collapsed, everyone can be an easy target of opportunity by anyone. Robbery, extortion, kidnapping, violence and murder have skyrocketed. These facts can not be denied. If you want to google around, there is lots of current information available that is not reported so much in the normal media. The reality of the situation sucks.

I'm pretty sure I'll get a lot of negative response from those of us who have loved going to Mexico for many years and even lifetimes, but the situation has deteriorated rapidly and dramatically in recent years. I mean no disrespect to anyone.

Common sense and personal safety for you and your loved ones should come first. I believe in calculated risks. That's always been a part of my life. I try to avoid foolish risks as much as possible. Please don't be naive.

Anyway, FWIW. I'm not your mother :-)

Good luck!
No negative response from me. I like this kind of advice. After living down here for 4 years and traveling down here for 20 plus years, frankly, if not one more gringo comes down here, I'm fine with it. I will say this, for every negative report you hear about in your so called "normal" media, I can give you 10 examples of undeserved and unprompted kindness and generosity afforded to me by the Mexican people, which won't ever make the news. I leave my house unlocked with the door usually wide open. My truck is unlocked with the keys in it always. My boat, with $3000 of gear and electronics is parked in the open in my yard, almost always. Try that in Southern Cal. I drive at night and some night, I will hit a cow. Just a question of when. If I do, the next car that comes along will offer assistance, unless it's a gringo, and they will do what it takes to get me on my way. Even feed me and put me up for the night. I have never been shaken down by the policia and by the way my Spanish is embarrassingly horrible. Come on down and enjoy Baja and I will almost guarantee you that your worst experience will be how you are treated by your fellow Americans crossing back into the States.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
greenscales
greenscales

Agree w/all comments. TJ had its highest murder rate last year (2,300 +), and up 16% for Mex as a whole. But very few gringos targeted.
As for destination w/your friend, a lot of variables: 1) what is she interested to n doing/seeing (exploring different spots or chilling at a destination; 2) what type of lodging and amenities does she need; 3) what will the weather be like for destination; 4) what are the road conditions from recent weather? A lot of rain in Baja this year and more coming has caused road damage. Likely cooler and windier than OC or San Diego in many spots w/in a 4 day round trip this time of year.
Personally - I try to pass most of the weekend travel spots (So Of Ensenada or San Felipe) before I spend a night. Let us know more about what you want to do and we’ll give you feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
Ggiannig89

Thanks for the input guys.
She’s more so looking for some warm daytime sun and some swimming possibly? Idk what the water temps are down there. It’s a bummer only having 4 days but hey gotta work.
Me I’m always looking to fish lol on the yak or panga.
But open to heading anywhere really even in the states if there’s a decent area to catch some sun and fish.
Old 01-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #9
greenscales
greenscales

Likely No warm water to swim in other than pools if you want to limit to 4 days by vehicle. Can always look at discounted flights from TJ and cross the bridge &/or last minute deals to fly somewhere further South. I know I’ve seen flights for 1 cheaper than my gas/insurance/etc. costs for driving solo to Cabo. Much more saved in time. I can recommend places in Baja (Norte) that are beautiful - but often cold and rugged this time of year.

greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #10
MMc
Junior

In four days it will be hard to fine a warm water for swimming, it could be chilly and or rainy. I would check out San Quintin or Bahia de Los Angeles not both, (to much driving). SQ is a 4 hours south with some nice hotels, fishing is good inside the bay and you can launch out but mouth of the bay from the south side of the mouth. BdLA is about 5 hours father south easy launching most places along the bay. Hotels are nice too. If there is a Santa Ana wind system it will be blowing
I go solo all of the time. 6 trips 5 days or more last year. I tell anybody that asks if it's safe. If you are not comfortable going don't go. I understand the risks, I don't let other's fears determine my choices. Your millage my vary.
MMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenscales View Post
Likely No warm water to swim in other than pools if you want to limit to 4 days by vehicle. Can always look at discounted flights from TJ and cross the bridge &/or last minute deals to fly somewhere further South. I know I’ve seen flights for 1 cheaper than my gas/insurance/etc. costs for driving solo to Cabo. Much more saved in time. I can recommend places in Baja (Norte) that are beautiful - but often cold and rugged this time of year.

That’s a good point. I’ve flown to Cabo out of Tj using volaris many times. Not unusual to find deals for $90 PP round trip. The planes are nicer than southwest and the CBX is easy. Now Cabo San Lucas is nothing like the middle of BAJA, but if you’re taking a girl looking for some water and bright sun might not be a bad idea. The fishing is also very good year round for different species. I’d recommend San Jose del Cabo over Cabo San Lucas though. Little more “Lax”
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #12
Oolie
Headshots Only

"Mr.NiceGuy"

Yes Mr.NiceGuy, the chance of being accosted in Mexico exists, but the odds are worse if you are black on this side of the border.

http://www.theswcsun.com/chicano-par...om-the-editor/
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
flyfishinsteve64

Send a message via Yahoo to flyfishinsteve64
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
No negative response from me. I like this kind of advice. After living down here for 4 years and traveling down here for 20 plus years, frankly, if not one more gringo comes down here, I'm fine with it. I will say this, for every negative report you hear about in your so called "normal" media, I can give you 10 examples of undeserved and unprompted kindness and generosity afforded to me by the Mexican people, which won't ever make the news. I leave my house unlocked with the door usually wide open. My truck is unlocked with the keys in it always. My boat, with $3000 of gear and electronics is parked in the open in my yard, almost always. Try that in Southern Cal. I drive at night and some night, I will hit a cow. Just a question of when. If I do, the next car that comes along will offer assistance, unless it's a gringo, and they will do what it takes to get me on my way. Even feed me and put me up for the night. I have never been shaken down by the policia and by the way my Spanish is embarrassingly horrible. Come on down and enjoy Baja and I will almost guarantee you that your worst experience will be how you are treated by your fellow Americans crossing back into the States.
Rossman is the man to listen to. He lives the Baja life. As for taking a friend down, any friend. Don't take them to northern Baja this time of year. It can be miserable and cold. You don't want the first trip to be a bad one.
That's my .02 Good luck
flyfishinsteve64 is offline   Reply With Quote