Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
Ohana

New Reel: Shimano Curado or Abu Revo?

I am looking at getting a new baitcasting reel and need some help deciding between the Shimano Curado E Low Profile or the Abu Revo SX Low Profile reels? Use an old Shimano right now for calicos, halibut, and bay bass, but would like to add a new reel.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
GregAndrew

I have the Revo Inshore which I am very happy with. I have decked a small thresher, a decent Leopard shark and a 22.11 halibut on it with no problem. I have not tried the Curado though so not able to compare.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Ohana

Thanks.

I am leaning toward the Abu as it seems a little more saltwater rugged, but as I have an old (1990) Shimano low profile baitcaster which still casts like a dream, I was curious as to how the two compare.

Kevin
Old 11-14-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
B Slate

I use the curado 300 a lot and yes it cast very well. It the old style not the new one. I had it a few years now and I had to replace a bearing but other then that its held up fine. Works great in the harbor and inshore. Never tried the revo though so I can't compare.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Afran
fishy

I use the Curado series for a lot of my inshore work. I prefer the 300 over the 200, but the 200 (E) is small and strong.

For what ever reason the 300 is a beast. It's hard to find one used, so you almost have to my a new one.

I'm 2 years in on the 300 and it is in pretty good shape, without breaking it open and fully cleaning and greasing drags. The 200 is feeling the grind after 1 year of work. It needs to be worked on.

I have a few friends that run the REVO. You have to get the saltwater version. I heard that the Revo Torque is the shit. 22lbs of drag.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
DESTROYER

You can't go wrong with either one!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #7
Ohana

Thanks for the recommendations.

Kevin
Old 11-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Siebler

Im a huge fan of Daiwa Coastal reels. I have 5 and really abuse them yet they have worked fine for 5 years. I have caught tons of bass, a few nice halibut to 20lbs, smaller yt and Dorado on mine while I was working on sportboats.

If you were against that for some reason though id go Revo.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Iparker
Junior

I have both the 200e and 300e. While the 300e has yet to see use, I love the 200e. It is small and fits perfectly in your hand but has lots of power. Casts good with a smooth drag. I'm expecting the same from the 300e. Repair in Irvine is nearby if needed. Revo's get good reviews as well but I'm sticking with Shimano. I sent you a PM on a local seller.

Ian
Iparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
FARRIER

I have used and have owned the sx, the shimano, and the coastal. Shimano ohh they cast really well and have a extremely reliable track record with a good warranty. The abu my favorite has awesome drag and great casting. However you will need to be diligent about cleaning it with the exposed spool. Nothing a little electrical tape cant help. And the coastal at a tad over a buck casts well has decent drag and good line cap. Plus it really puts up to the abuse. Imo abu, daiwa, shimano based on cost. But i money is no object the smimano is the shizz indeed with the revo almost equal.
FARRIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Ohana

Thanks for the good recommendations!

I think the Abu Revo is the what I will plan to get.

Kevin
Old 11-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #12
Afran
fishy

I just picked up a Curado 300E for $160-

Stoked!

Good luck!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
kareem korn

I use my revo alot. It takes a beating. It's my goto reel for boardfishing, so it sees alot of salt water. I have not had any problems with it yet. It's seen alot of different kind of fish and handled them well.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
Ohana

Well, I went with the Abu Revo and got the reel and a rod as a combo at Bass Pro Shops; this combo saved me roughly $40 when compared to buying each separate. They also filled the reel with line at no charge. I like the fact that the Abu comes with two handles, so you can decide which one you prefer to use on the reel.

Going to use this combo this Friday.

Kevin