Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Oxbeast1210

Out of area report : First Blackfin Tuna

Well I have a few weeks left here in Florida before I move to San Diego.

I wanted to get a couple fish of my list and finally got one yesterday Woke up in morning hesitant to get up and and fish...

My wife said you only have 2 weeks left in Florida you better get up and go!" Im glad she made me go.!

I got to Navarre around 630 am and bought some frozen "cigs" from the Pier they didn't look like cigs to me but reluctantly got them.

Anyway I was the last one to launch cause I was helping one of the other guys get the wave timing right. I got out and realize I didn't bring any weight for My sabiki . I tied a Jig to the bottom but it was not heavy enough so no live bait for me .
Remember those "cigs" I didnt want to buy earlier in the morning?.. Well now they are the only bait I have . I put one on but make the mistake of using the rig I made with single strand wire. I start trolling around and after a while I hook up It wasn't fighting like any fish Ive had on the line sadly the single strand wire breaks and I'm left with just a skirt and J-hook. Looking back Im pretty sure it was a BFT I wont be using single strand again I have issues with it kinking up.
So now I put a bait on my mitchell 302, I start heading in cause I have a Class at 11am . I got through a school of bonita and my fish-finder lights up ... but nothing . ABout 30 seconds after going through the school my line starts ripping!! . Im thinking I got one of the Bonita but the way its taking line makes me start to doubt it. I check my go pro and its recording . Unfortunately somewhere along the fight my battery dies on it ..just my luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edl4N...layer_embedded

After a bit I finally start gaining on the fish but now its not running . My line lust feels heavy with a head shake every few seconds. I finally get the fish up close enough to see and i'm thinking wow thats a huge bonita! As it gets closer I realize its a BFT ! I start getting excited but worried Ill lose him . I finally rest easy after gaffing it and getting it onboard . Man what a rush !

I head in and on the way back hook a king . Had to stop trolling after that so I could make class. ( I did by like 5 min)

This was also my first time taking my Hobie PA12 in the gulf it handled very well out the cant beat the new seat! My knees did fine peddling but dragging it to and from my truck really aggravated both my knees.

Thanks for reading looking forward to fishing with all of you!
Attached Images

Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
roadx

nice fish good to hear the 12 is working for you
Old 10-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Oxbeast1210

Yeah I really like it so far and as long as I pace myself my knee does fine.
Well up untill I have to drag it to the truck that can be brutal. How far do you normally have to drag your kayak ?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
tehburninator

dude... sweet deal! congrats!!! looks like another fish to add to my list now
tehburninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
Sdspeed

I thought you were getting a Jackson Cuda?

Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
skrilla

Looks freezer burnt!

JK. Nice one. With fish like that I'd try to postpone the SD move just a little longer.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Oxbeast1210

haha , I was a little hesitant to post cause of the recent joke . THey have been thick out here this year so have the sailfish. Im really want to catch a sail and Mahi before leaving .

As far as the move I wish I could stay longer but out of the the places I can go next California was the top of my list so i'm happy

Seems like every time I need my go pro running either the battery dies or my memory is full ! I have a spare battery but lost it hahha
Old 10-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Oxbeast1210

I did have a cuda for a couple and liked it, although the seat was not as comfortable for me as I wanted. Also a lot of members on here said it wouldn't do well in the surf you guys get.

Long story short My Ortho gave me the go ahead to ride bikes and peddle kayaks . More importantly my wife said I could buy the Pa12 so the stars aligned and i'm pretty happy with it. MY knee does ache a bit after but the comfort of the seat more then makes up for it.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Oxbeast1210

If any or you plan on fishing the Florida Panhandle let me know . I have a friend that will start guiding soon Ill be able to get a discount. I also know many more that dont mind people tagging along just let me know
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

Dude, with fishing like that you SKIP class!

Unless its a final or something, I couldn't get myself to leave.

Great report.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Sdspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
I did have a cuda for a couple and liked it, although the seat was not as comfortable for me as I wanted. Also a lot of members on here said it wouldn't do well in the surf you guys get.

Long story short My Ortho gave me the go ahead to ride bikes and peddle kayaks . More importantly my wife said I could buy the Pa12 so the stars aligned and i'm pretty happy with it. MY knee does ache a bit after but the comfort of the seat more then makes up for it.
Wow, I kinda thought the surf think you mention would be a problem out here but I didn't think I'd hear that the seat wasn't all that great.
Your knee takes the peddling, I guess I need to go try a PA again!

Nice catch, Congrats!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

nice fish man, your so lucky ot catch fish like that in florida, lets trade spots . lol but one thing you gotta lose when switching to cali is the spinning setups! go get yourself a couple avets and calstars!
Biggameaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Aaron&Julie

Blackfin the only other tuna that can legaling be called "Solid white" in a can.
Congratulations on some solid catches.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:43 AM   #14
Deamon

Garcia Mitchell 302? You get it from your grandpa? I loved my 302 I stole from my dad's arsenal way back when. Great catch!
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Garcia Mitchell 302? You get it from your grandpa? I loved my 302 I stole from my dad's arsenal way back when. Great catch!
That was a classic reel. I'm not sure where mine ever went to...
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #16
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbeast1210 View Post
If any or you plan on fishing the Florida Panhandle let me know . I have a friend that will start guiding soon Ill be able to get a discount. I also know many more that dont mind people tagging along just let me know

would that be Barton??? im going to hit you up for that deal.
if launching at LJ the drag can be minimal but for the most part it's way less than what your used to
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Drake

I got my first BFT when I was in Key West, those suckers FIGHT! Nice job and perfect Gaff shot.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
lamb

Very cool
Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 AM   #19
Oxbeast1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdspeed View Post
Wow, I kinda thought the surf think you mention would be a problem out here but I didn't think I'd hear that the seat wasn't all that great.
Your knee takes the peddling, I guess I need to go try a PA again!

Nice catch, Congrats!
Dont get me wrong the seat was still an upgrade from sitting on the bottom but it still annoyed my lower back after a couple hours. Im pretty sure its my sciatic nerve giving me issues .

Im also peddling a lot slower then I used to with my old Pa I just get a steady pace no going full speed.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:17 AM   #20
Oxbeast1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggameaddict View Post
nice fish man, your so lucky ot catch fish like that in florida, lets trade spots . lol but one thing you gotta lose when switching to cali is the spinning setups! go get yourself a couple avets and calstars!
I got my myself a Diawa Saltisit 2 speed for my fishing out there I still need another reel for out there but ill keep a spinning reel until I get used to using the bait casters.

About trading spots im all for that I can even have some friends show you the exact spot .

The 302 I got from an old man at work I like it it has outlasted countless modern reels..