Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #1
swinginFish

Open letter to Vito

Yo Vito!

Okay, so it wasn't your best day. Wasn't mine either, but certainly wasn't a bad one. Made it out w/out incident and headed for the mostly empty squid grounds. No luck for me there, although others seemed able to stock up. Turned out that in my case (and one other - his story to tell), the live stuff wasn't necessary.

After some drifting with hanging dead stuff (presented in all kinds of fashions), was about to "head towards the barn" at around 10, but had a couple of once-frozen baits to lose first. To that end, tossed out a carolina-rigged dead squid with a stinger (was thinking halibut), and on the drop, got picked up. Truly surprised me when line started peeling off the reel, as such strikes that have happened over the years usually turned out to be bonito (And speaking of bonito, where the heck have they been for so long?), calicos or barrecudas. In this case, it was the pictured unit - a bit on the smallish size (about 25 lbs) compared to most of the others I've gotten from LJ, but very cooperative (didn't have to gaff it, just reached over, grabbed a gill and pulled him on board). Landing was interesting, as the tide and surf was coming up.
While I certainly enjoy the early morning launches, seems most of my fish over the last few months have been late risers. Surpisingly, this fish - unlike several others - elected to hook itself at a time when I wasn't talking to you. Used to think you were my lucky charm, but then perhaps your's was the morning "sacrifice" needed in order for Poseidon to smile upon me. If so, thanks ...

Avery

Last edited by Iceman; 09-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
blitzburgh

NICE FEEEEESH!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

"The pictured unit" LOL! Nice fish! congrats!
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Dennis

Very nice fish, Avery.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
lamb

Nice

Avery, I just moved this passed weekend. Vito's house is literally 200 yards away. You know how he is with the net - if urgent, PM me and I'll walk over knock on his door!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
swinginFish

Andy,

Perhaps mistaken, but me thinks you snuck in and enlarged the humble thumbnail I originally posted. Hey man, if you're gonna do some magic to a posted picture, howzabout just enlarging the fish? Come to think of it, should probably "spill the beans" and note that, while looking like your standard Hobie Adventure hull, the craft the fish is pictured on is actually a 28 ft Congadong from S. Africa. Kind of a cool boat 'cause when not on the water, it doubles as a special 5-note pipe organ used exclusively in the Hamar Cow Jumping ceremony (look it up). Go figure!

Adi,

Before leaving the beach, Vito said he'd check the board to see if I caught anything, so I naturally felt obliged to rub it in. Also, sorry to learn of your neighborhood "blight", but am trying to figure out if you brought it with you, or if its due to one of those who lives nearby (Hey, I'm an equal-opportunity offender).

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
lamb

Hey, all I know is he's been busy smoking a bunch of yellowfin and bluefin for us... Not sure how he got it